Betta Fish Forum banner

what to look for in a betta?

3K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  loppy656 
#1 ·
Im planing on getting a new betta soon and was wondering waht to look for in a betta. The first betta i got i had no idea there was a sight like this so i just got a fish who was active and looked helthy to me.He is still alive and in grate shape!:-D

I was also wondering if i should get a boy or girl.:roll::p
And where is a good place to get a betta?

#3 ·
well it depends on you, i personally look for sick betas that arent sooo sick they will 100% die (like covered in white fuzzy and floating on its side) i look for sad fish generally with fin rot so i can give them a happy life and help make them better, or sometimes i look for the most acitve and certain colors if im looking for breeding purposes.

#6 ·
well, i think that is just one of those things that happen. just go look at them all and get which ever one you connect to male or female.

#7 ·
Hmmm...
Honestly I have bad expierence with Walmart bettas, but thats just me.
Although if I ever get another I'm going to get it from my local petstore.

#8 ·
yea if you want a fish that will survive go with petsmart or pet co, i someitmes get them form walmart if its a rescue fish just to try to improve its life, but if you want to not maybe have a fish die get one somewhere eles.

#11 ·
Well I don't want to bore you with what I look for in bettas.

#12 ·
i look for bright colors and curious bettas but thats just me =)

#14 ·
i don't think she has had much experience with beta buying she has had no deaths and only one beta

#17 ·
Double Tails and Dragons are my weakness!!!

#19 ·
I guess we know how a girl can win your heart over ;-)

#18 ·
normal tails are my weaknes

#20 ·
I'm not very partial to veiltails, though it seems to be the only type I've found around here. I think those crowntails look very cool, I'd love to get a pair of those.

#22 ·
I have a weak spot for crowntails. Find them to be so gorgeous!

#23 ·
Crowntails always remind me of why these fish were bred in the first place. Like their fringes remind me of swords and these fish were bred for fighting.

#24 ·
Deltas are my weakness :) And I usually look for a betta that moves around like crazy when I pick up their cup. Also, brighter colors are another thing I like. I tend to stay away from reds and blues, because they're more common. Whites are a definite favorite.

#26 ·
I also really like whites.

#27 ·
Your my new best friend. LOL!!!

#28 ·
Im new to both bettas and to this site and haven't yet got my fish although i do have 2 other large tanks, but its my opinion that we shouldn't really be rescuing sick fish or fish that are kept in bad conditions in shops BECAURSE there is no incentive then for these places to improve the care or conditions, if they can sell more in the same state,if they cant sell them, they will have to wonder why, by buying them up we are perpetuating the problem,having said that ,I understand completely the urge to do it,and have actually done the same thing in the past myself,and am not talking about the odd unfortunate fish who has perhaps been in a fight, or housed in appropriate housing, but rather those places who habitually make quick profits by just selling anything regardless of conditions required, what do you guys think?

#29 ·
i like veitails then =D

#32 ·
i have a thing for pure black fish, its what i just bred, next is white.

#33 ·
I have a thing for the most pathetic fish in the store lol! Other than that I am partial to the more unusual colors. Sadly I can't get crowntails as my water is too hard :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.