Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #91 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I had a great weekend of bird watching, I saw a mom Wren and her 3 babies at the bird feeders when I was staying with my son over the weekend. The baby birds also had a bath in the bird bath and would beg their mom for food and she would pick up seed and place it in their mouth, so adorable. We bought a new wire cage suet holder and hung it outside by the back porch and this morning I saw the first bird to use it was a Titmouse. Also lots of Grackle, Doves, Sparrows, Blackcap Chickadees, and a couple of Bluejays who were loving the sunflower seeds and would get one and take it to a nearby tree and crack it open, so fun to watch.

A Brown Thrasher was really enjoying the yard, their common name describes the behaviour of these birds when searching for food on the ground they use their long bills to "thrash" through dirt or dead leaves. They are related to the Mockingbird and such a impressive looking bird and rather large in size, the smaller birds seemed to be scared and would fly away when he or she would come around.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #92 
TurtleBarb

Very cool! I've been keeping an eye out for new fledges, but haven't seen any here in Virginia yet. Maybe next week, since you'd be a little ahead of us in TN. Backyard birds bring me much joy. I love our modern-day dinosaurs.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #93 
TurtleBarb

I got to play with this young black ratsnake I found in the basement this weekend. After I freed it from a glue trap. What a treat!
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #94 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cool looking snake.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #95 
TurtleBarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Cool looking snake.
Isn't he? Such a sweetie, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #96 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I am scared of snakes but so nice TurtleBarb you could help out this guy or gal. I saw a black snake in my kitchen last summer and freaked out, it took off and went behind the frig and I dont know what became of it but I hope it found its way back outside. I live in a very wooded area and I know this is going to happen from time to time but I cant get over my fear of snakes. On a bright note I am not as scared of spiders as I used to be..lol

I have field mice that also find their way inside the house now and then so having a harmless black snake around could be a good thing, maybe if I was not so scared of them. I would prefer both snake and mice outside though...lol I saw a possum on my front porch last week late at night when letting my dog out for his last bathroom break of the night, it run off into the woods when it heard the door being opened so I didnt get a good look at it.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 06-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #97 
TurtleBarb

I'm arachnophobic myself. And also glad to say I'm not as terrified as I used to be, though I'm still really scared to touch them. I live next to woods and a horse farm, so lots of critters come into the house. If I only I could convince Mother Nature to stop sending me so many spiders, and just send more lizards and snakes instead! Your blacksnake probably did find its way back out. They're very good at finding ways in and out of places.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #98 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

This is a photo of a young Groundhog visiting the yard to munch on some clover, at least I think its a Groundhog it could be a Gopher but whichever he or she is sure adorable and so much fun to watch
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #99 
TurtleBarb

'tis a groundhog. So cute! We have them here, too.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #100 
TurtleBarb

I found this little cutie in the basement this weekend (Northern Brown Snake).
Attached Images