Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #1 
spookypug

going to get another Betta today but had a question about goldfish

I know this is a Betta forum, but I was wondering if anyone has goldfish as well and what the difference is in care between the two. People always say a Betta is no work but maybe it was just me, but I spent a lot of time taking care of mine that just passed and the one I still have. My daughter has it in her head to get a goldfish. I can easily dissuade her but was just curious about the care aspects.

thanks
spookypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #2 
Elena

Goldfish need a large tank and LOTS of filtration! They produce insane amounts of waste. If properly taken care of, goldfish will live more than 25 years. If you are serious about getting a goldfish, the minimum recommended tank size is 20 gal (and make sure you cycle the tank!). You can keep two goldfish in a 20 gal at the most. Rule of thumb is 10 gal per goldfish, however 10 gal tanks are too small for even one fish. Goldfish are cold water fish so you won't need a heater.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

^^^^ Ditto.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4 
Elena

I forgot to add that they are amazing pets :)
Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Yep. Goldfish are awesome, but NOT for beginners!!!!!!!! IMHO I think they are best for ponds.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #6 
spookypug

great. I went to a highly rated aquarium store and the guy sold me three yes THREE goldfish for my 3.5 gallon tank. YIKES!!!!! looks like I am going to be buying a new bigger tank tomorrow. I am so pissed. I told him how big of a tank I had and he said three is a good number for it. This is animal cruelty!
spookypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #7 
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypug View Post
great. I went to a highly rated aquarium store and the guy sold me three yes THREE goldfish for my 3.5 gallon tank. YIKES!!!!! looks like I am going to be buying a new bigger tank tomorrow. I am so pissed. I told him how big of a tank I had and he said three is a good number for it. This is animal cruelty!
I agree it's animal cruelty. These pet store salespersons are so misinformed sometimes it makes me wonder whether they go through any kind of training when they are hired. Without sounding like a broken record, you should get the biggest tank you can afford. It is so worth it in the long run! And invest in a test kit to monitor your water parameters. You tank is going to go through the cycling process and that will be very stressful to the fish. Frequent water changes will be needed when cycling your tank with fish. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #8 
Elena

One more question: are they common comet goldfish or the fancy type? The difference being that the comet goldfish will grow to be at least 15 inches and need 20 gallons per fish. In my earlier post I was addressing the fancy varieties.

Here is an excellent article on goldfish from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #9 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
For 3 wakins, watonais, jikins, hibunas, comets or shubs, a 75g is the minimum. Whichever fancy goldfish you have from pearlscales to demekins, a 40-55g will do.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote