Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #11 
MorganC2010

Ok, i was just hesitant to change 100% dailiy since it stresses him out so but if it's fin rot It sounds like I really need to. His doral fin damage is what made me iffy on if it was just tail biting. So thanks for your imput!
Both of the crown tails Ive had has had tail problems. Is this normal for crown tails or am I just lucky?

Ill probably pick up another heater from my work tomorrow. we have one that says its good for up to 5 gallons so I assume it will work for the 1 gal bowl. But Ill take him out while I put the heater in and let it set for at least 24hrs to make sure its working properly.

Thank you so much for your advice!
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #12 
darkangel

I wouldn't use epsom salt, it helps draw out fluid, unless he needs it, I stick with just normal aq. salt.

It doesn't look like finrot to me. Here is a good blog post I read about it.

It just looks like biting to me. I think 1/2 tsp of aq.salt should be okay. I would try getting him some heat. I got my betta a while ago and he was in really bad shape but after I put the heat to 80, he really perked up.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
I wouldn't use epsom salt, it helps draw out fluid, unless he needs it, I stick with just normal aq. salt.

It doesn't look like finrot to me. Here is a good blog post I read about it.

It just looks like biting to me. I think 1/2 tsp of aq.salt should be okay. I would try getting him some heat. I got my betta a while ago and he was in really bad shape but after I put the heat to 80, he really perked up.
I just thought it was fin rot because of the dorsal fin. Are they able to reach their dorsal fin? I could be wrong...I certainly wouldn't want the OP to over treat their fish /:
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #14 
MorganC2010

Ok, good 1/2 of AQ is about what I used, how often do I need to add it? And I'll check my finances and get him a heater tomorrow hopefully. He was kind of an unexpected addition to my fin family. My manager and coworkers talked me into adopting him from work since he is ill.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #15 
darkangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I just thought it was fin rot because of the dorsal fin. Are they able to reach their dorsal fin? I could be wrong...I certainly wouldn't want the OP to over treat their fish /:
I think so, dorsals can get pretty big, if they can reach they will bite. it just doesn't look like finrot too me because the edges seem pretty crisp? I'm no expert either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
Ok, good 1/2 of AQ is about what I used, how often do I need to add it? And I'll check my finances and get him a heater tomorrow hopefully. He was kind of an unexpected addition to my fin family. My manager and coworkers talked me into adopting him from work since he is ill.
you only need to add it once, if you keep adding it, you'll have too much. If you change the water, than you will need to re-add it.

I have a 1.5 gallon myself and I use a elite 25w heater I got at petsmart, it heats the water to 80F for me exactly. I think its pretty good for small tanks if need to find a brand.

good job on adopting him! he might have died if you didn't take him in!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #16 
MorganC2010

good job on adopting him! he might have died if you didn't take him in!
----------
Aw thanks! I work at a chain pet store and we have SO many gorgous bettas right now, I mean we have everything from white ones to yellows, to oranges. I told myself I didn't have room for more bettas but then Eugene (a crowntail I had for 2ish years) passed away. I still wasnt going to get more since working was giving me less time to take care of my boys. But Mackerelmore came in with torn fins and he just wouldnt get better. So after checking on him and caring for him every day since he came in everyone in my department told my manager that I needed to adopt him. So, 1 cent later I have a new crown tail betta lol.

My next problem is that there is a halfmoon still there that seems to be ill as well. :/ I REALLY dont have room for him so im going to moniter him closely and try to keep him as healthy as possible. if not I may just have to get him, heal him, then give him to a friend for a gift.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #17 
MorganC2010

If you change the water, than you will need to re-add it.
----
Oh and I wanted to ask, even if I do 100% daily? Which honestly seems like a little much to me still. So what do you recommend I change for a 1 gal bowl?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #18 
darkangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
If you change the water, than you will need to re-add it.
----
Oh and I wanted to ask, even if I do 100% daily? Which honestly seems like a little much to me still. So what do you recommend I change for a 1 gal bowl?
Well unless your like feeding like 10 pellets and your fish is pooping like crazy, if you change the water every other day than its probably fine. Most people say 2-3 days is okay.

I would stick to just doing 100%, there is really no point for doing partials for a small tank. You might as well just empty all of it rather than trying to figure out how much aq. salt to put back in.

Sorry to hear about the halfmoon! Maybe you can try changing his cup everyday so his water is clean and putting him in front so people see him?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #19 
MorganC2010

Yes I have been and will continue changing his water every day. Do you think I could put a little and I mean very little stress coat in his cup or are the cups just too small to treat?

Tags
fin biting, sick