Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #31 
Nibblez

6/16/2013

14 Liter
Nibblez doing fine as ever i guess, loving the IALs in his tank but just chilling around most of the time, something a bit odd is that i add water softener to all the water i prep and age for the water changes but the water in Nibblez tank is showing at about 7.5-8.0 pH every time and all the other waters are testing at 7pH.

36 Liter
I've had the tank completely covered up and in darkness for the past 3 days in an attempt to try and get rid of the algae in there without using other means that will harm the live stock i have in there. I opened it up for the first time and i found the missing oto that i couldnt find last time, dead in the tank. I am officially down to 2 otos, 6 shrimps, about 4 baby golden apple snails, and 2 large golden apple snails that i decided to throw in there today hoping they will help with the algae issue im having. The algae seems to have stopped growing and some of them have loosened up and i managed to siphon quite a bit out of the tank during the 30% water change today. I had the lights on for less than an hour just to check on the tank, will be covering it back up tonight for another 2 more days to see if it gets any better. Still not confident on putting Courage into that tank till i know that it is stable, safe and the algae is gone.

27 Liter
The tank is still bare bottom, removed everything from the tank and cleaned it up completely after removing the male from the tank. It is now filled up about half way with the whole breeding tank setup back in there and the filter running. Had to do it so i can leave the plants in there. the breeding pair (Going to call them Adam and Eve) are in the satellite breeding box for now for conditioning so it is much easier.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #32 
Nibblez

6/19/2013

36 Liter
Another 3 days in the dark for the tank, finally uncovered it not too long ago and took out the two large golden apple snails i chucked in there. Will be resuming the normal photo period tomorrow morning. From the looks of it, everything seems to have improved, the tank is so much cleaner and there is so much less algae though at the cost of getting some of my HC eaten up. There looks to be a bit of algae left on the moss on my driftwood and a few bits in between the plants. Probably will have to do some trimming tomorrow as well as a water change depending on how it looks. That pesty snail is still multiplying in my tank though and i have no idea how i am going to eliminate them. Photos to come.

14 Liter
2 golden apple snails back into the tank with Nibblez, he's doing fine as usual, just chillaxing in his tank. Also building a bubble nest for the first time. Looks awesome.

27 Liter
The female (Eve) dropped quite a few eggs yesterday in the tank while conditioning her with the male (Adam) so i decided its about time to let them have another go at it, they are currently in the breeding tank.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #33 
Nibblez

6/26/2013

So a few things has happened since i last updated.
Firstly, after putting the Eve together with Adam for about 2 days, i noticed that she was always hiding and never really approaching Adam so i removed her from the breeding tank and into the breeding box to recover, almost immediately after that, she released her eggs in that breeding box so i did a water change the next day, she looked fine aside from being slightly stressed so i covered her tank to help. I left the morning after that for class after checking up on her, she looked fine but still slightly stressed. I came back in the afternoon and checked on her only to find out that she just passed away....

On to slightly better news, the algae in the planted tank seems to have disappeared, mostly. So i did another 100% water change in hopes to completely remove all the excess nutrients and algae particles in the water column, I counted about 5 shrimps then so im guessing 1 went missing? Looking to add more shrimps to the tank and then possible put Adam in there since i am considering getting another pair and i need to clean up the breeding tank he is in now.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #34 
BettaLover1313

So sorry that Eve passed.

Glad to hear that you got the algae cleared out though.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #35 
Nibblez

Thanks, poor Adam looks quite lonely now, he just sits in one area till i bug him. He doesnt seem to bother with his bubble nest anymore but at least he is doing just fine.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Eve.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #37 
Nibblez

36 Liter
Adam is in there now and i stocked the tank after having all but one of my otos pass away. He's in there with 4 otos and another 11 CRS and CBS as far as i know.

Its pretty awesome watching him with the otos and shrimps in there, he doesnt mind them and they dont mind him. Also changed the annoying bubble counter to a nicer one and finally got the stands for that light unit of mine. Going to modify the table that it is sitting on so that the tank sits perfectly. Hopefully i'll get that all done by the end of the weekend.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #38 
BettaLover1313

Adam is quite a handsome fish and he seems to be enjoying the company of the other fish and shrimp.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #39 
Nibblez

Havent been on in a while, i've taken on another betta, a blue and black halfmoon so the betta count has gone up quite a bit and i need to find a proper solution to house all of them properly. Im discussing with my LFS to get a custom tank done as a kind of barracks design to house my bettas permanently and maybe more if i do get more in the future. Sadly though, i wont have as much time to spend working on the tanks and looking after them since ive just taken on a job that i was offered. Luckily though, that means that i will be working at the LFS so getting stuff i need would be easy, been pretty busy lately cause of that, theres just not enough time in a day to sort everything out.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #40 
Nibblez

Just bulk bought about 40 or so CRS of about B to S grade that should be here any day now. So im setting up the 27 Liter tank as another planted shrimp tank, aside from that, i bought an eheim classic 250 for my 36 liter tank hopefully to improve the tank and help prevent the algae. Currently having half a mind to reset the entire tank and redo it. Lots of pics on all the bettas and tanks to follow soon.