Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #21 
waterdog

Stocking has a lot a variables in it. Filtration and water changes have a great effect on stocking levels.

Example: I have a 40 gallon coldwater tank with fancy goldfish. "The Book" says 10 gallons per fish. I have 7 in my tank.
The difference? My HOB is rated for a 70 gallon tank, PLUS I have a sponge filter rated for 20 gallons, AND I do once a week 50% water changes.

This tank has been this way a year now and the fish are getting so big I will have to seperate them soon just cause they are starting to bump into each other!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #22 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Stocking has a lot a variables in it. Filtration and water changes have a great effect on stocking levels.

Example: I have a 40 gallon coldwater tank with fancy goldfish. "The Book" says 10 gallons per fish. I have 7 in my tank.
The difference? My HOB is rated for a 70 gallon tank, PLUS I have a sponge filter rated for 20 gallons, AND I do once a week 50% water changes.

This tank has been this way a year now and the fish are getting so big I will have to seperate them soon just cause they are starting to bump into each other!
I know filtration has a ton to do with it, which is why I'm so glad I took lilnaugrim's advice and got the Aqueon Quietflow20 for this ten gallon. I am more comfortable having a larger number of girls and potentially a snail or something like that. I am still deciding exactly what will be in the tank to help clean it, but I fully intend to have something, especially considering now that I have driftwood in mind to put in there.

On a side note, pretty bummed my last shipment from Amazon isn't here when they promised it would be. It has my heater in it, although I suppose I can cycle for a few days without the heater. It also has my mangrove root in it, though, and I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like to set up a tank until I have all the pieces I intend to put in it lol. Might just go buy a mangrove root and return the one from Amazon when it arrives (whenever that may be... -_-).
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #23 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's not just the ammonia-handling capacity of the setup. Stock also generates dissolved organic solids (feces and food, plant waste and mulm) that aren't nitrogen compounds. Removing these requires a good filter and a major (50%) weekly water change.

Livestock uses minerals from the water. These need to be replaced regularly through large water changes.

Most sororities I hear about around here are 5 individuals in a 10g tank with no other fish. Seven may be pushing it; you'd have to ask a sorority keeper. What's the consensus on the sorority sticky?

It's one thing to overstock on a temporary basis like Waterdog is doing; quite another to push a permanent sorority.

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree with you Hallyx. I've got my own sorority at 15 girls for 33g, I also have 5 dainty cories and a pleco that's going soon to a better home.

The sticky has suggested you can go up to 10 girls in a 10 gallon however less is preferable as the Betty Splenden article suggests. And that's without other tankmates including all inverts. Any and all algae eaters produce too much waste and even if you do have like a filter rated for 50 gallons (silly I know) it wouldn't make it any easier for them all to fit in there.

It's kind of like this; so there's a 10 by 10 room, you've got 6 of your best friends in there and 4-5 other people that you hate, you're not going to be able to move around enough to get away from them and there's a chance they can gang up and beat you up. You wouldn't like that right? So that's why in a 10 gallon you're so restricted, 7 girls and that's it otherwise you're going to end up with problems is all.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote