Dwarden3

Exclamation Pock marks on head and strange smelling water

Here is a photo of him.
Attached Images

Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You're going to have to provide more information if you want assitance. Tank size? Filtered? Heated? How long has it been set up? Water change schedule? % of water changed? Tank mates? Water Temp? Feeding; what brand, how often, how much? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? If so what are your exact #'s? What exactly is your question?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 
Dwarden3

2.5 gallon tank, unfiltered, heated. Normal water temp is 81F. Been up for a little over a week. 25% water changes every other day. I've been trying to feed top fin betta pellets, but he rarely eats them. I have also tried omega one flakes. Haven't checked parameters because I am changing water so much. He has small pock marks on his head. The look indented. Nothing has come out of them. My question is, what are they and how do I help the fish?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 
Dwarden3

Also the water smells odd. Kinda like petrol. I've done 100% changes and washed everything. I've also tried the tank without certain things, but I could not isolate the source of the smell. My other tank also has this odor. Could it be my water?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It could be the water.

The "pock marks" are nothing, lots of bettas have them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #6 
Dwarden3

What would you call his coloration? This is unrelated to the problem, but I am glad the pock marks are normal. Hopefully the water is not unhealthy.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
2.5 gallon tank, unfiltered, heated. Normal water temp is 81F. Been up for a little over a week. 25% water changes every other day. I've been trying to feed top fin betta pellets, but he rarely eats them. I have also tried omega one flakes. Haven't checked parameters because I am changing water so much. He has small pock marks on his head. The look indented. Nothing has come out of them. My question is, what are they and how do I help the fish?
You may need to get a different brand of food such as Omega One or New Life Spectrum. I'm not sure but I don't think Top Fin is a quality food nutrition wise. He may not be eating them because he doesn't like them. My light colored Drangonscale has pock marks, they're nothing to worry about, its just part of his look. Since you're not running a filter you really only need to do 2 50%+\- water changes per week.

As for the petrol smell, that I have no explanation for. What water conditioner are you using? Are you making sure there's no leftover food sitting in the tank? Do you have resin decorations? I know some of mine have an odor but I only smell it when I remove them from the water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote