Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #11 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post

have you noticed the poop laately? has it been the normal brownish cinnamon bun looking poop or has it been more white and stringy?
The last time I saw her poop it was normalish brown...but rather stringy.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post
Yeah. Thank you guys. I said I had feelings that it wasn't velvet. And like I said, I felt stupid for not trying to treat it with something anti bacterial first.

I'm going to try and use melafix and pimafix if she makes it, which I don't think she will (I know some people don't recommend them as they can sometimes complications) but it's what I ordered.

I think the best thing I can do is learn from this experience, have meds on hand and ready next time, as well as plan ahead. *mentally punsishes self*
Melafix and pimafix aren't going to treat this. You need something stronger like kanaplex. I believe Furan 2 (correct me if I'm wrong someone) treats gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. So that might be something you may consider trying if you can't get kanaplex. You can get that at any aquarium store or LFS.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #13 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Melafix and pimafix aren't going to treat this. You need something stronger like kanaplex. I believe Furan 2 (correct me if I'm wrong someone) treats gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. So that might be something you may consider trying if you can't get kanaplex. You can get that at any aquarium store or LFS.
Okay. If she makes it another day, I will try and get that for her =/ I'm not seeing it on the Petsmart or Petco website. (Probably because it's pharmaceutical grade) Are you sure it's available at any petstore? Well, you said aquarium store, so I guess that's not quite the same thing. *sigh* It might be too late by the time it gets here though. She's really not looking well. She looks dead on the bottom.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Okay. If she makes it another day, I will try and get that for her =/ I'm not seeing it on the Petsmart or Petco website. (Probably because it's pharmaceutical grade) Are you sure it's available at any petstore? Well, you said aquarium store, so I guess that's not quite the same thing. She's really not looking well. She looks dead on the bottom.
Oh snap. I think you're right, I think that is the only one in my stockpile not from PetSmart. I think I had to get it at a LFS. Well, if you are Iowa you are welcome to have mine, but I'm guessing that's a long shot.

ETA:Using Mardel's Maracyn I & II you can treat bacterial infections as well. I guess I didn't think of that. They are available at PetSmart.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 06-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #15 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Oh snap. I think you're right, I think that is the only one in my stockpile not from PetSmart. I think I had to get it at a LFS. Well, if you are Iowa you are welcome to have mine, but I'm guessing that's a long shot.

ETA:Using Mardel's Maracyn I & II you can treat bacterial infections as well. I guess I didn't think of that. They are available at PetSmart.

:( Yeah. Would Maracyn Two be a good bet as well possibly? At least I can get htat at a petstore

Oh wait, I see your edit. Thank you. I will try and get them asap :( Poor baby. I'm unsure how well it would work for the really late stages of the issue thoguh.....She already hasn't eaten in about 2 days.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #16 
4everaspirit

My brother is willing to take me to petsmart tommorow to get the stuff. I want to literally just crawl in dark corner and hide because I'm such an idiot for not having done this sooner. I have spent a lot of money on medications already and ugh....they just either don't work or don't get here soon enough.

I know exactly what is going to happen though. If she's not dead in the morning, she'll be dead when I actually bring the correct stuff back. :(

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Hi 4everspirit. I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :( From the pics, it looks like she may have lymphocystis. That's what the growths on her sides and fins are. On its own, lympho is non-fatal and usually clears up on its own within a few months. However, it can cause secondary problems if one of the cysts becomes infected which is what may have happened. Because she's stopped eating, I'm concerned that the infection may have gone internal, in which case the best medication to use is also the hardest to find: Seachem Kanaplex. This med usually has to be ordered online so I'm afraid it won't make it to you in time. Another possible med to try is Maracyn II, aka minocycline. This is the only other antibiotic that will absorb through the skin/gills and reach an internal infection BUT it does have the potential to cause kidney damage that could make the symptoms worse and cause dropsy symptoms. If you'd rather not risk it, then I'd suggest treating for an external infection only using API Furan-2.

You can also add 1-3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon to her tank as well to help with any internal fluid build-up.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #18 
4everaspirit

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to dump the water that I put general cure in down the drain? It has a chemical known to the state of california to cause cancer. They say to use a filter and add carbon after the last dose?? I don't have a filter nor carbon...but hey if I'm going to go to petsmart tommorow, why not throw out more of my money to get some carbon or whatever is needed. If I still didn't have such things, what shoudl I do to clean the tank?

Spent over $150 dollars on this betta. Never thought it would be possible. x_X I'm not even a hobbyist.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #19 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi 4everspirit. I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :( From the pics, it looks like she may have lymphocystis. That's what the growths on her sides and fins are. On its own, lympho is non-fatal and usually clears up on its own within a few months. However, it can cause secondary problems if one of the cysts becomes infected which is what may have happened. Because she's stopped eating, I'm concerned that the infection may have gone internal, in which case the best medication to use is also the hardest to find: Seachem Kanaplex. This med usually has to be ordered online so I'm afraid it won't make it to you in time. Another possible med to try is Maracyn II, aka minocycline. This is the only other antibiotic that will absorb through the skin/gills and reach an internal infection BUT it does have the potential to cause kidney damage that could make the symptoms worse and cause dropsy symptoms. If you'd rather not risk it, then I'd suggest treating for an external infection only using API Furan-2.

You can also add 1-3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon to her tank as well to help with any internal fluid build-up.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
I'm not seeing these "growths" you are taking about. I haven't noticed anything layered onto her body, which is what I assume a growth would look like and do. Do you mean her brown and discolored body?

Yes, I'm going to try Maracyn two tommorow if she makes it.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #20 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if it's safe to dump the water that I put general cure in down the drain? It has a chemical known to the state of california to cause cancer. They say to use a filter and add carbon after the last dose?? I don't have a filter nor carbon...but hey if I'm going to go to petsmart tommorow, why not throw out more of my money to get some carbon or whatever is needed. If I still didn't have such things, what shoudl I do to clean the tank?

Spent over $150 dollars on this betta. Never thought it would be possible. x_X I'm not even a hobbyist.
I feel you! I spent $100 on meds for a betta I rescued. I had him a week before he died of what I suspect was columnaris. But, I tried to save him, and that is how I ended up with a stockpile of medications for future use. I would follow Sakura8's advice. Her advice has helped me save several of my sick fish in the past.

You may want to contact your local water dept. They can probably advise you on that.