Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #11 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
This is sad. We need to tackle the problem from its grassroots, that is- education. Sure, everyone here loves animals but the people who refuse to fix their animals or bring them to the vet if they're injured are who need to read this. Maybe it would knock some sense into them.

I know not all shelters are like this but it doesn't surprise me at all what you've written. There's just too many animals. At least euthanasia is better than living without a proper life for some of them. I would love to adopt a pitt.
Puppy mills are what piss me off. You know the amount of dogs a puppy mill generates a year is close to the amount of animals euthanized in shelters each year. i believe in everyones right to breed their own animals RESPONSIBLY, but when it is done for pure profit, it is a disaster.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #12 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Amen!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #13 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
You must work in a local government run shelter?

As far as pregnant cats go, there is NOTHING wrong with spaying a pregnant cat. Those kittens never take a breath and do not know life. It is a mercy to spay a pregnant cat in my opinion. This is not abortion, it's a full hysterectomy, kittens or no kittens. Killing the mother after the kittens are born is barbaric. Either keep them all or spay the pregnant mother and find her a home.

I'm glad you are getting an education into animal welfare. You are so right about no-kill shelters. What do you think happens to the animals that are turned away from no kill shelters? They get dumped, killed or sent to a kill shelter. The no kill movement thinks there ARE enough homes. I disagree.
Society in general loves the idea of a no kill shelter. So do I if it were really true!

If anyone reading this is thinking about adopting a cat or kitten now is the time. So many cats and kittens during the summer! Also DONATE LOCALLY. Don't get sucked in by the TV commercials! If factory farming, save the whales and baby seals is what you want to help, then by all means donate to the HSUS. If you want to help cats, dogs and other pets in your own area, donate to your local shelter or humane society. Money does NOT trickle down from national organisations to the small shelter in your town.

(jumps off soapbox)
yes the shelter is county run. and i very much agree with you about donating locally! i would not give money to the HSUS though for anything. organizations like PETA and the HSUS spend less than half of one% of their budget on helping animals. when you give them your money, it is going to commercials and lawyers who are trying to get laws passed that they hope will lead up to laws that will take our pets away from us. they come into a big news story with volunteers and donations, not their own money, and when the story is over they drop all the saved animals off at the nearest shelter for them to deal with. they even put off stopping abuse they are aware of until it will be a big news story. not to mention their goal is to eliminate all human influence on animals. no food. no pets.

sry for that rant but the HSUS gets under my skin.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #14 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I don't like no-kill shelters. Some of them warehouse animals who are never going to find a home (due to health/behavioural reasons) for years and years. Humane euthanasia is not the worst end an animal can face.

I also agree with spaying stray/feral pregnant cats. So many cats get destroyed each year, probably a much higher number than dogs because I have found many people actively hate cats. Why bring more kittens into a world where they are going to struggle to find a good home?

I can't believe your shelter is not permitted to treat dogs when they first come in for something like tick paralysis though! I am very surprised that this is not considered animal cruelty whether the animal is the shelter's property or not.
unfortunately laws here in the US are more interested in protecting animals as a persons property than they are the animals welfare.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #15 
creame172

Luvplatys, a lot of people do not understand how important what your daughter is doing is. there are lots of shy cats and dogs who just need a little love and attention to help them really shine. I have seen plenty of animals put down who just needed a little time. just ten minutes a day even. I am so lucky to have my cat. i have no idea how she made it through. i adopted her a year or so ago from the shelter i now work for. we almost didnt adopt her because she was so scared, the woman helping us could not get her out of the pen. But now after a little work, she is the sweetest baby and i love her.