Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Oops. I think I see where I went wrong. I mistook the food flakes for growths on the body.

In that case, disregard everything I said about treating for external bacterial infections. The problem is most likely internal so your best bet is probably the Maracyn II.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #22 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I feel you! I spent $100 on meds for a betta I rescued. I had him a week before he died of what I suspect was columnaris. But, I tried to save him, and that is how I ended up with a stockpile of medications for future use. I would follow Sakura8's advice. Her advice has helped me save several of my sick fish in the past.

You may want to contact your local water dept. They can probably advise you on that.
Maybe I'll just call Api tommorow....ugh. There is so much involved in saving one fish. I don't have the heart to just toss them out when they are sick like some people oye. @_@
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #23 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Oops. I think I see where I went wrong. I mistook the food flakes for growths on the body.

In that case, disregard everything I said about treating for external bacterial infections. The problem is most likely internal so your best bet is probably the Maracyn II.
Yes. I'm glad you realized they were fish flakes I tried to get her to eat.

I have maracyn 2 ingrained in my mind. Set on getting it tommorow if she makes it. It's the worst it has been. I don't know if the general cure made her feel worse or it's the disease :( She's breathing super heavily and won't even come to the top.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #24 
NeptunesMom

I glanced back through, and I didn't see it mentioned (so I apologize if you did mention it) but did you lower the water level? If you haven't I would lower it to make it easier for her to breathe.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #25 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if it's safe to dump the water that I put general cure in down the drain? It has a chemical known to the state of california to cause cancer. They say to use a filter and add carbon after the last dose?? I don't have a filter nor carbon...but hey if I'm going to go to petsmart tommorow, why not throw out more of my money to get some carbon or whatever is needed. If I still didn't have such things, what shoudl I do to clean the tank?
Carbon will absorb the chemicals in the water but if you don't have a filter already, I wouldn't spend the money on getting one. i have always dumped water change water down the drain, weather it is medicated or not - never really though about it before.
I always loved that warning. I'm like does it ONLY cause cancer in california?? I'm currently medicating with quick cure and the ingredients are malachite green and formalin which I beleive is some form of formeldahyde? Anyways I had to remove the dropper since it was clogged and got the crap all over my hands. I'm like - great. Im gonna get cancer and die. Oh wait. I live in New York. I am safe :P

Petco won't have anything that is useful for medicines, at least not any of the API medicines minus Betta/pima/melafix. They do have some mardel meds which is who maes maracyn and maracyn 2 but petsmart is a better place to go for medicines.

Sometimes it's really hard to say what is wrong with them. Trust me, I know that very well. I lost one guy the other day and another with the same symtoms and I have no idea what the hell is wrong with them. Plus I have another dude- Tanagora - and I swear I have medicated him for everything under the sun. The only symptoms he had were he was very skinny and his fins wouldn't unclamp. I ended up making my own anti parasite pelllets and he started to gain weight back (im guessing he had internal parasites) but it was a good 6 months or more before he finally unclamped his fins. His tail fin is still not fully unclamped. I don't think it ever will be

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-19-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #26 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I glanced back through, and I didn't see it mentioned (so I apologize if you did mention it) but did you lower the water level? If you haven't I would lower it to make it easier for her to breathe.
I would lower the water level...but I'm not sure what to do with the water............................................. .. Spare tank time maybe?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #27 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Carbon will absorb the chemicals in the water but if you don't have a filter already, I wouldn't spend the money on getting one. i have always dumped water change water down the drain, weather it is medicated or not - never really though about it before.
I always loved that warning. I'm like does it ONLY cause cancer in california?? I'm currently medicating with quick cure and the ingredients are malachite green and formalin which I beleive is some form of formeldahyde? Anyways I had to remove the dropper since it was clogged and got the crap all over my hands. I'm like - great. Im gonna get cancer and die. Oh wait. I live in New York. I am safe :P

Petco won't have anything that is useful for medicines, at least not any of the API medicines minus Betta/pima/melafix. They do have some mardel meds which is who maes maracyn and maracyn 2 but petsmart is a better place to go for medicines.

Sometimes it's really hard to say what is wrong with them. Trust me, I know that very well. I lost one guy the other day and another with the same symtoms and I have no idea what the hell is wrong with them. Plus I have another dude- Tanagora - and I swear I have medicated him for everything under the sun. The only symptoms he had were he was very skinny and his fins wouldn't unclamp. I ended up making my own anti parasite pelllets and he started to gain weight back (im guessing he had internal parasites) but it was a good 6 months or more before he finally unclamped his fins. His tail fin is still not fully unclamped. I don't think it ever will be

Yeah, I'm just concerned about the environment and stuff, especially after hearing that they have found medicines in lakes and streams and such and negatively affect the fish. So I just would rather be as careful as I can. If the carbon takes at the chemicals I should probably go to petsmart tommorow anyway to purchase some carbon (I think it comes in a form for filters, and I actually do have a filter I just really don't use it because it's a bit powerful for her) , even if she doesn't make it.

Omg when I noticed others mentioning that a lot of anti parasitic stuff had a type of formaldehyde I just threw a basket of Peace lilies (flowers) we had around into my room, just in case the stuff got into the air or something!! I don't know, but they make my room look a little nicer and it's a bit more of crisp air in my room anyway:)

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #28 
4everaspirit

I did order some pimafix and melafix online though and it's too late to cancel it, and I know you guys don't recommend that so much. I dont' want to waste it though, so any thoughts on what I should use it for?

I must say though. This girl is an amazing trooper. She has been suffering for four months and it has taken this much to bring her this far down. Like I said, I didn't realize how bad it was until just recently though :/

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Pimafix and Melafix are effective for topical problems only. They can be used but with caution. Use half doses if using them to treat bettas.

The General Cure most likely didn't hurt her and it could even have helped somewhat as the main ingredient, metronidazole, can be mildly effective for anaerobic internal bacterial infections. However, General Cure is not effective to treat velvet. Velvet parasites are extremely resistant to chemical treatment so the best way to treat velvet is with high heat at 86 F and 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon, a very dark tank, and daily water changes to remove the velvet parasites that have fallen off the fish from the AQ salt.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #30 
xxRho

Don't forget to remove all the uneaten food.

Do you have places for her to rest that are closer to the surface? It could make it less stressful/easier for her to breathe/eat =]
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote