Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #11 
wish4coner

Thank you for telling me about the brackish water. I didn't know. I can use aquarium salt or do I need another salt? I have had brackish fish before and used small amounts of sea salt back home but, here I use cichlid salt for the cichlids, and aquarium salt for other fish I had. Suggestion?
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #12 
GhostFeather

Well Darth,if telling people the way it is,is being a bad guy-then I guess you are a bad guy!
Personally,I would rather have someone pick out my faults(in breeding),it is the only way I am going to learn and fix my mistakes.
So,continue being the boards "bad guy",I appreciate your knowledge and experience!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #13 
Darth

Thanks Bill, the harsh reality of breeding bettas is that it isn't easy to get good fish, it is extremely easy to breed mediocre and "Pet" fish.
If any think its easy to spawn and breed great bettas and wow! I can make money!! Think again, Betta housing is expensive, it costs a lot to heat fishrooms buy good food or even cultures I can tell you I have about 5000 dollars into it and am just now getting my base stock.
Beanies to house the very best ones, Mason jars for the girls, I used to use a sorority but my fish are far to valuable to get one sick that can wipe out the rest.
There is a lot more involved then sticking 2 fish together and getting them to spawn, that's the easy part.
I have been trying to get the very best so that even if I give culls away they will be superior fish.
You must also build a reputation and I can tell you that is fragile and once you have a sterling rep, you must do everything in your power to pump out only the very best at all times, because you will not be remembered for all the beauties, its the Bad ONE you may sell to someone!!!
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 
Darth

Wish, you can use sea salt and the same as for your brackish types around 7 I wouldn't go over that though.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #15 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Thanks Bill, the harsh reality of breeding bettas is that it isn't easy to get good fish, it is extremely easy to breed mediocre and "Pet" fish.
If any think its easy to spawn and breed great bettas and wow! I can make money!! Think again, Betta housing is expensive, it costs a lot to heat fishrooms buy good food or even cultures I can tell you I have about 5000 dollars into it and am just now getting my base stock.
Beanies to house the very best ones, Mason jars for the girls, I used to use a sorority but my fish are far to valuable to get one sick that can wipe out the rest.
There is a lot more involved then sticking 2 fish together and getting them to spawn, that's the easy part.
I have been trying to get the very best so that even if I give culls away they will be superior fish.
You must also build a reputation and I can tell you that is fragile and once you have a sterling rep, you must do everything in your power to pump out only the very best at all times, because you will not be remembered for all the beauties, its the Bad ONE you may sell to someone!!!
This is why I went to wilds. Not because it is easier but, because of the possibilities. But, I knew the expense before I got into this as, I researched a lot, both here and places with good rep. I even joined the groups, thanks to Setsuna, that I know will give me good info..not just what I want to here. I even just culled, even though I thought I couldnt do it. I do want the best of the best and, I don't want to be a private "petco", if you know what I mean.

You have helped me immensely, as well as Setsuna and a few others and I can't thank you enough for that.

Next up..Stiktos!!!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Thank you Wild kind words DO help...and everyone thinks I am such a bad guy.
I am a betta breeder sure I cull but I try to give them to folks who want to make them pets first.
I don't think you're a bad guy for telling people exactly how it is breeding bettas. I've never done it but admire those you who do. It's a lot of work and good breeders put their heart and soul into it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote