Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

It is and thats why people want to rescue them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #12 
dr2b

It is a vicious never ending process. People go to the store and see them in such poor condition. They buy them with the idea of being a good person and saving/helping them. I do think it is a good idea to help them and turn them into something beautiful. It is a double edged sword.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #13 
veganchick

if you talk to the manager you could see if you could have the really sick bettas for a discount-I know people who have done that and it worked. I think a really good Idea woul be to go there a couple times a week and change the bettas water. I think it would help a TON
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #14 
Kim

What I do is a modified version of this idea. My Petco is actually really fairly good with betta care. They look like they clean the cups, and most of the fish are healthy. I think that the sick ones probably came that way...and although they could do with some heat, they do a better job caring for them than anywhere else. So, if I go in and see a sick one I don't feel bad about purchasing it because it is usually not their fault. I plan on asking for a discount the next time though...I haven't done this in a while.

Basically, if it is a "good" store, you don't have to feel bad about promoting bad practices and you can still save the bettas that may die if not treated correctly- and we all know that this works better at home than if they are treated at the store.

I still find it very hard to resist saving the others though...like someone said this really is a double edged sword :(
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #15 
5green

thats a good idea
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #16 
sumsum

You could try the humane society they might try to stop the petstore from killing the poor defensles fishies
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #17 
loppy656

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsum View Post
You could try the humane society they might try to stop the petstore from killing the poor defensles fishies
good idea.where is that?
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #18 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy656 View Post
good idea.where is that?
There are different Humane society's all across the globe. and there is usually one in every city. I think they were refering to the humane society of America tho.... get online and do some research.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #19 
Kim

I thought that they didn't classify fish as "animals" and therefore won't help....at least that's what I heard and I've never seen them helping fish....
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #20 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I thought that they didn't classify fish as "animals" and therefore won't help....at least that's what I heard and I've never seen them helping fish....
Depends on which Humane Society, They aren't linked together so the humane society of kentucky is completly dif. than the humane society of america and the humane society of NYC...