Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #1 
Ant

Help! My fish is really sick!

Sorry for the double post, I really need some help fast.

My brand new fish is really acting strange, he only comes up for air and then he sinks to the bottom. When he does swim, he only uses one fin. He's been hanging out at the bottom of the tank for two days now. I think I may have over-fed him. On the back of the pellets I bought for him, it says 3-4 pellets twice a day. I was feeding him 8 pellets per day, which is way to much from what I'm hearing now, and ever since this, he's been acting very strange. I'm really worried about him, I only had him for 3 days. The first day he was totally fine, swimming and eating, now he looks really ill. I was told in the other thread that he may have Swim Bladder Disease and that I should fast him. He hasn't eaten since yesterday. He looks to me like he's getting worse. Should I give him a salt bath?? I don't know what to do for him and I'm really worried, I don't want him to suffer like this, please help!!
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #2 
Elena

You could try salt baths- instructions here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=25297
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #3 
BakaMandy

You're feeding him right. What I do is 3 pellets in the morning, 3 pellets before I go to bed. And then I fast them once a week so they're not overfed. If you're worried about him having SBD, fast him for a while and see if that makes a difference.

The swimming with one fin is not that usual I believe. What temperature is your tank? Betta fish are lethargic in cold waters so he might not be so active if the water is too cool. Have you checked the water parameters? If it's a small tank, water changes should be done ever 2-4 days depending on the size, naturally smaller ones more frequently than larger ones.

You can do a few salt baths if you think it might help.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #4 
Ant

I gave him the salt bath tonight, he's still the same if not worse. I honestly have no idea what could be wrong with him. Right now I have the lights turned off had them off for a couple hours now. He's still on the bottom, leaning sideways just moving his fins and mouth, he only comes up for air. He will not eat for nothing or swim. He doesn't look well at all, he looks like he's barely breathing. There's a little bit of white fuzz on him. I'm gonna go to the pet store tomorrow and see if I can get medication for him. I'm just stunned because he was fine on Tuesday and now he's so ill. I just don't get it. I just hope it isn't as bad as it looks and that he'll recover. I really like this fish and I feel like I'm letting him down by not being able to help him
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try some Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #6 
Ant

Got some great news! He's feeling better He's finally eating today and swimming normally, very active just like he was before. I'm pretty sure he had cotton mouth. I got some meds from the pet store for him and within less than a day, I noticed a difference. Today he's finally eating and swimming again. I'm so happy! Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it :)