Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #11 
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Bettas are solitary fish - they honestly don't mind being alone. But I know nothing about Glofish, so I'm leaving that to someone else.
They're somewhat small, multicolored fish about 3/4 the size of a Betta. To big to eat (I think), and they don't look like Betta's much.

I'm thinking two or three would color up the tank a bit. The snail and cleaner shrimp are out, after reading horror stories about Betta's eating them. And as Rosey so eloquently put it, cories are out of the picture.
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #12 
AngelicScars

In a 5 gallon, you cannot have tankmates. It's just too small. I cannot stress that enough. I think a shrimp or a snail is about it. If you want glowfish or things like that, upgrade the tank to 10+ gallons.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #13 
dr2b

I have 2 otos in with Flair in his 5 gallon. Well 1 now...I gota replace the one. But most of the time they are out of each other's way since the otos are resting during the day or hiding and out at night and Flair is resting at night. But I would never think of getting something other than an oto in there fish wise.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #14 
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
I have 2 otos in with Flair in his 5 gallon. Well 1 now...I gota replace the one. But most of the time they are out of each other's way since the otos are resting during the day or hiding and out at night and Flair is resting at night. But I would never think of getting something other than an oto in there fish wise.
Thanks! I'll look them up. I definitely don't want to kill any fish, but I think my Betta would be happier with some company. But if nothing fits, nothing fits.

EDIT: OK, I looked them up. They sound OK... a catfish would be nice to grab fallen food. And one to two inches means that one and my Betta will equal 3 inches max, easily fitting in the aquarium (1 inch of fish- 1 gallon). Am I right?

And for all the people saying shrimp, I saw some, they look awesome, my Betta would see them, and eat them. Then I'd cry. D:

Last edited by Rotten; 08-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #15 
AngelicScars

Cories need shoals, there for you wouldn't be able to get any.

Otos are messy and they need at least 3 to be happy, there for it won't work. I have 3 Otos in my 10 gallon and it is the messiest of all the tanks. They poop CONSTANTLY. :P
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #16 
RoseyD

god, I LOVE my zebra otos. but, yes, they need to be with other oto friends. And, they are very delicate fish - usually people get more 'dead' otos than live ones in putting them in their tanks.

They are very finicky eaters - they usually come from the store already starving - they eat only certain types of algae, and some 'cooked' veggies. They don't really just pick up other fishes left overs - nor do they like algae tablets.

They're either really well loved, with owners that make huge efforts to keep them alive (which only sometimes works) - or they're in a little baggie in the freezer waiting to be buried...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #17 
RoseyD

All that being said ... there are some BEAUTIFUL 15 and 20 gallon hex tanks that would make wonderful homes for one betta, perhaps 5 or 6 glow fish, and 3 cories...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #18 
AlexXx

wouldnt glofish be a bit to bright and maybe attract a bit 2 much attention to the bettas and could cause some aggressive behavior? I saw them in petsmart the other day and thought they were cool and all but never thought they would work with bettas.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #19 
Rohland

Cories should be kept in shoals 6 or more is better. If you are keeping two different species keep 3 of each kind, but not just 3 of one kind in your tank.
Trust me a few years ago i kept one cory.
Now i currently have 6, their attitude and interaction with each other and even with you in way different, they are more lively in groups.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #20 
veganchick

really, a five gallon is the perfect amount of room for one betta, I try to give all of my bettas that amount of room, but with loads of rescues coming in all the time I don't always have a choice. I think your best bet if you really want something to go with your betta would be a ghost shrimp, or a trumpet snail
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote