Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #1 
Emparios

Missing fish!?! URGENT

So I woke in a panic this morning, because my betta wasn't in his nice, 5 gallon tank, with a lid (which has airholes). Turns out, he was under my dresser, where ALL the dust bunnies go. Remembering a story from my dad about an eel who lived three days out of the tank, I put him back in and swished some water around him and his gills, because that's how my dad saved the eel.

He's swimming around at the top of his tank now, if very slowly, and I found him about 45 minutes ago. Is there anything I can do to help him heal or just live? Do I need to do anything to help him, or will his gills be fine with fuzz hanging near them? Any way other than aquarium salt,, I mean since I have none and my mom was too busy playing a game on her computer to help me look for Cyclone, let alone drive me to the store so I can buy some. Or another way of inceasing the temperature to about 84 degrees, since I have no heater, don't know if it would help, and the above bit about my mom is still true for that.

And another, less important question, is how and why did he jump out of the back of a lidded tank, when all I've done is add a little more water, and he doesn't normally fuss over it?

Last edited by Emparios; 06-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emparios View Post
So I woke in a panic this morning, because my betta wasn't in his nice, 5 gallon tank, with a lid (which has airholes). Turns out, he was under my dresser, where ALL the dust bunnies go. Remembering a story from my dad about an eel who lived three days out of the tank, I put him back in and swished some water around him and his gills, because that's how my dad saved the eel.

He's swimming around at the top of his tank now, if very slowly, and I found him about 45 minutes ago. Is there anything I can do to help him heal or just live? Do I need to do anything to help him, or will his gills be fine with fuzz hanging near them? Any way other than aquarium salt,, I mean since I have none and my mom was too busy playing a game on her computer to help me look for Cyclone, let alone drive me to the store so I can buy some. Or another way of inceasing the temperature to about 84 degrees, since I have no heater, don't know if it would help, and the above bit about my mom is still true for that.

And another, less important question, is how and why did he jump out of the back of a lidded tank, when all I've done is add a little more water, and he doesn't normally fuss over it?
Some bettas jump. It's not an uncommon story. Keep the water about 1.5" below the rim of the tank, and try to find where he escaped from and block it with something (like saran wrap). Beyond that, just keep the water clean and warm. Without a heater that will be hard, but when you change the water you could wrap the tank with a towel to discourage heat loss. Now, remember our body temperature is warmer than the betta's thriving temp range (76-82). So when you feel the water it should be slightly cool to the touch, but not cold. If it feels hot or warm to you, it's probably too hot for them. I'm sorry about your mom .
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #3 
Emparios

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind ^-^ I just hope he doesn't die from shock :/ Probably should have added this to the first post, but he has some brownish patches around his head, are those cuts?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emparios View Post
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind ^-^ I just hope he doesn't die from shock :/ Probably should have added this to the first post, but he has some brownish patches around his head, are those cuts?
Can you take a picture of the brown patches? Stress is one of the top killers of fish. But, there's really not a whole lot you can do in this case except try to keep him calm and happy. Fish survive jumps all the time, so it's not like this is a death sentence for him. When I was about 5 or 6 my first betta survived being on the floor for like an hour during a tornado. He was knocked down in the chaos of trying to get to the basement. Then my mom snuck up and put him in his bowl to keep me from seeing him dead. He started flopping around in the tiny bit of water left. He lived another 4 or 5 years.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #5 
Emparios

Sorry the qualities not so good, and it's at an awkward angle But you see where the brownish parts of him are, and it is also a little on his side (continuing down from where you can see it)

And that's awesome that your betta survived! The only experience I've had was when my first betta, who was 5 years old, jumped out of the tank, or was attacked by my cat, when I was at school. He was dried up when we got home, and I never think I cried more, except this morning when I was panicing about Cyclone.

Last edited by Emparios; 06-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 
kvw1988

My boyfriend's step-dad had a goldfish that jumped out of his tank and they found him on the floor after he'd been there for who knows how long, they thought he was dead but put him back in the water and he started to come back around, he's still alive but he did end up slowly losing his pigmentation, but other than that he's fine.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #7 
NorthernLights

On the goldfish, they can lose pigmentation as they age (or just become more pale), depending on their color to start with and their overall health.

I am so glad you found Cyclone quickly! He's a black fish, right? It looks to me like he might have lost some scales (not surprising if he took a bad tumble), but those will grow back with time. He needs clean water and rest. When you do get to go to the pet store (or a wal-mart) pick up some StressCoat+ and some aquarium salt.

Some bettas just love to jump. I fostered a betta for a while who seemed to think that water was his trampoline! My own fish never *ever* jumps, but I keep the lid on just the same, in case he decides to to try something new. One thing I will mention is that bettas have been known to try to jump out of their tanks if the water is not clean. How often do you do water changes, and how much water do you change, and what do you put in the water when you do?

Keeping my fingers crossed!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #8 
Emparios

His head is black, but it turns to blue on his body, and aqua with flashes of red in his fins. And I'll see if I can pester my mom enough about it, so she'll take me to wal-mart to get what I need.

I cange his water about once a week, taking about his original cup (the one he came in) out and adding filtered water from my fridge in. I don't put anything in the water at all, and my tank has the filter that came with it installed.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #9 
NorthernLights

Oh wow. You don't use any kind of water conditioner? That is definately a concern. Tap water usually contains chlorine, chloramines, sometimes heavy metals, sometimes ammonia and nitrates or nitrites. That will take a serious toll on your fish over time.

When you get to the store, get some good water water conditioner for fish. Prime (made by Seachem) is very good, but you won't find it at Wal-Mart, you'd need to go to a pet store. Wal-Mart does carry StressCoat+ (it's in a brown bottle) which can also be used as a water conditioner, but it won't neutralize ammonia or nitrates or nitrites.

If you are putting fridge water in his tank, how do you warm it up? Do you change all the water at once?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #10 
Emparios

Is normal stresscoat OK? I went to wal-mart (my brother is my hero for the day) and that's all I could find.

I also got some aquarium salt, so I'll be adding that in, too. 1/2 tsp per gallon, right?

As for the fridge water, I normally leave it out a while before changing his tanks water. I've never really had to use water conditioner for my bettas, but then again, this is the first time I've actually had a nice sized tank. My first two bettas were in a half-gallon, then I read, after they died(one from jumping out, the other from a cold winter), they didn't like small tanks, so I bought the 5 gallon when I got Cyclone.