Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1 
Sweetea

Eye cloud and identifying fin rot?

Hello everyone. A month ago I was convinced to keep bettas again, and decided to rescue a delta with eye cloud from PetCo. On day one, both eyes were affected, with the left eye being the worse of the two. I had to get his attention when I fed him by placing a pellet above his mouth, and then tapping/pushing the pellet with a turkey baster. As of yesterday, his right eye has cleared up dramatically (that he can see). His left eye has also been improving, but the cloudiness looks like the right eye from day one. When my finger approaches him from his right side, he'll react now, but he doesn't react when I go from the left.

I've been treating him with Melafix since that day, but after browsing through the forums, I've learned that the tea tree oil is not good for bettas. I added more silk plants to help him reach the surface easier. As of yesterday, his right eye has cleared up dramatically (that he can see). His left eye has also been improving, but the cloudiness looks like the right eye from day one. I was wondering if I could stop the Melafix, and let him heal with just clean, warm water? Would it be necessary to start him on antibiotics? Besides the cloudiness, he hasn't shown any other signs of illness (no popeye, fin rot, lethargy, pineconing...he's always active). I keep his water at a temp of 80F, with 50% weekly water changes.

He got nippy with his tail during a water change. s:

I also have questions about my first betta's tail...he passed a while ago but I'd like to hear other members' opinions about it. Before I thought he was a tail-biter, but after looking closely at his photos, the top part of his tail was gradually gone.

First week:

Roughly a month:

A couple months:

Once he reached photo #3, it just stopped there. Throughout the whole time frame, he never displayed signs of sickness, which is what confuses me. s: I'm hoping that some members could share insight on this.
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 
darkangel

I think for your new betta, I would stop using the Melafix, his eyes can probably heal with warm clean water and some aquarium salt. I would keep his water at 80F and add 1/2 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt. remove the salt after his eyes heal, if his eyes are still cloudy after like a week or two, maybe you can try meds then.

For your first betta, it looks like he was tail biting. here is an article I found on it.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #3 
Sweetea

Thanks! The article explains the tail-biting clearly.

I thought Melafix for a month was way overdoing it...just got some aquarium salt from Petsmart. Good thing that it'll help with his tail too. I can't wait until he's back to 100%. c:
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote