Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #1 
stellar981

Maybe a stupid question, about filters...

Hi. I have been here a lot in the past, about my betta with SBD. Well, ever since I changed him to an EOD feeding, the problem has vanished... Now, I have had my tanks set up for about 7 months. I thought I read somewhere that filters should be changed a couple times a year. My question is how do I change it, without interrupting the cycle? I have a 10 gal and 5 gal. The 5 gal is an Aqueon mini bow, with the filter that comes with it. The 10 gal has an Aquaclear 20 in it. I think that may be easier to change, because it has a couple spongy parts in it (I removed the carbon). So I could probably just replace one, and then a month later replace the other? But with the 5 gal, there is no place for me to put a 2nd filter. How do I approach it with this tank?

Thanks for your help!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Fitler media only needs to be replaced if it is falling apart & cleaning it doesn't help to clear clogs. As for the 5g, if the tank is well established you would probably only experience a mini-cycle as the BB will be on the filter itself, the substrate, decorations/plants, tank walls etc. When I had HOB's & would switch out filter cartridges I rarely if ever saw any issues. Just test the water for a few days to a week once you change the cartridge to be on the safe side.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Fitler media only needs to be replaced if it is falling apart & cleaning it doesn't help to clear clogs. As for the 5g, if the tank is well established you would probably only experience a mini-cycle as the BB will be on the filter itself, the substrate, decorations/plants, tank walls etc. When I had HOB's & would switch out filter cartridges I rarely if ever saw any issues. Just test the water for a few days to a week once you change the cartridge to be on the safe side.
Oh, so time is not a reason to change it? If that's the case, it is NOT falling apart - I guess I will leave it. Thanks for the info!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

The filter media boxes say to replace the cartridge every month but then you are also tossing out a good deal of the bacteria you want. What does happen though, is the carbon will loose its efficency after about a month or so. However, IMO, carbon isnt really needed unless you are removing medicine from the water. There are people who will say differently. To each his own.

I would only change the media when it starts to fall apart. Cartridges with the carbon in them seem to last a few months before falling apart. If you want something to last longer, ditch the cartridge idea and stick aquarium foam/sponge inplace of the cartridge instead. It will last ALOT longer. just rinse it out in old tank water during a water change. Dont use tap water as it will kill off the bacteria. Some filters you cant stuff the foam in but for aqueon quietflows and tetra internal filters, you can.

If you need to add carbon, you can easily cut the foam so you can squeeze an actual cartridgeg in there. I just buy carbon for the aquaclear filter, remove about 1/2 of it and aqusih it in there somehow
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 
FayeV

I've been doing it all wrong, I didn't know we weren't supposed to rinse the filter cartridges under tap water, which is what I did with everything when I changed the water. I also rinsed decorations under tap water and used a small toothbrush to scrub off any icky stuff. Is that also considered a bad thing to do?

Where do you find aquarium sponge? I didn't see any at PetCo when I stopped by there earlier this week. Well, didn't see anything that looked like a sponge block. Is it ok to pick up a regular (kitchen) sponge from Target?

Edit: how do I get my profile pic to show up on my posts, like you guys have under your name? I can see the pic on my profile page, but not on the forums.
FayeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeV View Post
I've been doing it all wrong, I didn't know we weren't supposed to rinse the filter cartridges under tap water, which is what I did with everything when I changed the water. I also rinsed decorations under tap water and used a small toothbrush to scrub off any icky stuff. Is that also considered a bad thing to do? Unless there is a disease you are trying to eradicate, leave things as they are in the tank. The decorations, plants, substrate, filter, filter media have the BB.
Where do you find aquarium sponge? I didn't see any at PetCo when I stopped by there earlier this week. Well, didn't see anything that looked like a sponge block. Is it ok to pick up a regular (kitchen) sponge from Target?
This is what I use:
http://www.petco.com/product/107996/...r-Inserts.aspx
Just cut it as needed to fit your filter.
Edit: how do I get my profile pic to show up on my posts, like you guys have under your name? I can see the pic on my profile page, but not on the forums. This is your avatar not your profile pic. Go to your CP same as you would for your profile but choose change avatar
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 
BettaFran

Almost any filter will have packaged foam inserts for sale. Just look for size you need. (Fluval Edge sells foam inserts of differing sizes and are sold at PetCo) As for scrubbing tank ornaments, do it in tank water....unless you've had a disease outbreak and need to sterilize them. That way you will save some good bacteria on them as well. As for regular bath or kitchen sponges: never use them for anything fish related! They often have hidden chemicals of even detergent a d those could leach out into the tank.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote