Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
Wynn

Fin rot advice?

My betta had a tail btting section 2 days ago, and this morning the edge(Very small part) turned red. Orginal the tip was a bit grey that darkened. I am wondering if he bit because it was turning to rot or if it roted cuz he bit.

I recall reading that a 100% water change should be done daily for a betta wit fin rot but I was wondering if I can do it another way?
Like 2-3 50% changes in a day? I don't want to net him so a 100% change would be difficult.

I have a halfmoon Betta that was fin bitting and got fin rot.
Water chem is
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.25 at most(reading it is tricky)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Temp about 80 give or take a couple
Filter, yes,
10 gallon tank
No tank mates.

Also I am treating with aquriam salt and Stress coat.
If I do a partial water change often how should I treat the water?
I am a bit new to this.
Thanks for the help.
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Lay your ammonia tube against something completely white like a paper towel to see if its true yellow or slightly green, this is what I do because it sometimes looks tinged green when it isn't. Tail biting can turn into fin rot. Red edges do not sound like fin rot to me, are you sure that its not just his coloring because he does have red on him? Does it appear as if its bloody? In a 10g filtered tank you don't want to do a 100% water change, you could do a 50%+/- every 2-3 days to keep the water clean. You should always treat the amount of new water going into the tank whether it be with water conditioner or meds, if you are using buckets for a water change. I know its probably not easy but can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
Wynn

Oh the diesese section mentioned that for fin rot it could be helpful to do 100% water changes daily. I was hoping a simiar ammount would be fin while he is sick.

The excate concept that happened was after I changed his water a few hours later I looked at him and he was tail biting. His back fin was discolored grey(Very slight, hard to notice but I watch him carefully) it was like he was biting it off actually. Though he bit his top and bottom fin too but I didn't see any dicolor there.
The discolored area hasn't spread but it has darkened slightly. and a very small spot is tinted red so I figured it was probably tail rot.
I have about 6 1 gallon jugs sitting a few days ready before a water change. So is it better to add the salt/ stress coat to the gallons? Also is it safe to mix reguar water conditioner with stress coat? And if I mix it like this should I add a different ammount of salt since I am not doing a 100% water change?

I am trying to get a pic but he is really active right now but I guess that is a good sign right? lol
Thanks for advice oh yeah he does have red but the tip has clearly changed. it is a very small spot on the tip(of a spot he bit near) of his back tail.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

The 100% daily would be if you had in a small container but since he's in a 10g there's no need for a 100%. There's no need to sit water out for a couple of days so long as you have a good water conditioner. But in answer to your question, treat EACH jug for the amount that is in the jug. The amount of salt added should ONLY be for the amount of water you replaced. I don't use stress coat only Prime so someone else will need to advise on using both together. Did I cover everything? Keep asking if it doesn't make sense.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 
Wynn

I have water jugs so I generally keep them ready just because not for any real reason. Is it bad to have water sitting like that?
So since I have ten gallons do you think 50% every day would be helpful because of fin rot? Or more or less?
I am a bit unclear what you ment when you said prime?
Is it bad to use salt, stress coat and average water conditioner at the same time or is a certain combo of them prefered?(Stress coat seemed like in itself water conditioner so I am not sure if using them together at them same time is bad.) The stress coat also said use double dose to rebuild slime coat, should this be avoided if I am using a regualar conditioner? Or should I not use the regular conditioner when using stress coat for fin rot?

I know it seems like a lot of question but I am mainly trying to cover the basic concepts.
Thanks for all your advice :D
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
I have water jugs so I generally keep them ready just because not for any real reason. Is it bad to have water sitting like that?
So since I have ten gallons do you think 50% every day would be helpful because of fin rot? Or more or less? I don't think you need to do daily water changes, but you can do 2-3 a week if you want. Mild fin rot a lot of times will clear with normal water changes but an extra 1 or 2 a week won't hurt. Lots of people let water sit out so its no big deal.
I am a bit unclear what you ment when you said prime? Prime is a water condition, thought by a lot of people to be the best.
Is it bad to use salt, stress coat and average water conditioner at the same time or is a certain combo of them prefered?(Stress coat seemed like in itself water conditioner so I am not sure if using them together at them same time is bad.) The stress coat also said use double dose to rebuild slime coat, should this be avoided if I am using a regualar conditioner? Or should I not use the regular conditioner when using stress coat for fin rot? Use the dosages recommended for the amount of water you're treating. Lots of people use them all in combination, I'm just not one of them. I don't know what water conditioner you're using so I don't know what all it does.

I know it seems like a lot of question but I am mainly trying to cover the basic concepts.
Thanks for all your advice :D
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Ok thanks for the advice :D
I am using top fin water conditioner. I am new at this so I am not an expert of brands lol
Most of my stuff I think is basic(probably not top of the line)
Top fin, aquaon, tetra are the most common brands I think I have.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 
Wynn

Question, I treated my guy for about a week with salt but I still using stress coat. Is there a recommanded time to use stress coat for? Been about 10 days so far.

Tags
fin rot betta help