betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #1 
Lost Eventide

Blue Green Algae Outbreak!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Internal filter directed at surface
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Pellets, Omega One Flakes, occasionally frozen bloodworms as a treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once-twice a day, fast one day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week (also have live plants) usually, been doing so more frequently with this algae
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? At least 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Usually around 20
pH: 7.8
Hardness: n/a, just know it's hard because it's city water
Alkalinity: n/a

I'm just omitting the last part seeing this isn't so much about my fish as it is his tank. Alighieri is doing fairly well aside from the fact he's been fin-nipping a bit, but I think that may be due to stress because of this algae/frequent water changers/etc. because I just put new decorations in when I noticed he was nipping. If it doesn't improve after I get this algae under control I'll have to try and figure out what else may be wrong, but right now I'm trying to eliminate this problem.

Or he just really hates the orange mat his tank is on because he wasn't nipping at all up at school.

But I have been battling with this blue-green algae for AGES and I have not been able to eliminate it and I just don't know what to do at this point. I've tried the black out method, I've tried taking everything out and just scrubbing all residue of the cyanobacteria off - including the substrate. I've tried constant water changes while removing as much bacteria as possible manually.

I'm just at my wits end at this point because I know blue-green algae can be toxic, and it has been killing some the plants I put in there because it just coats them over. This is the ONLY tank I have that has an issue with blue-green algae so I just don't know what to do at this point. It started when I first took this tank up to school and I thought it may have just been due to an excess of phosphates in the water or something, but there was a lull when I got back home and then it came back with a vengeance. Any help would be super appreciated!
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #2 
jibruno

try adding some snails, and decrease the temp?
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

If you go the planted tank section I just posted a good article that talks all about algae it's causes and cures.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 
Lost Eventide

Unfortunately, snails won't eat blue-green algae seeing it's actually a bacteria - at least, I haven't heard of any that do, or I'd have some in there in a heartbeat seeing I have a booming population in my 55 =< I don't think anything actually consumes cyanobacteria (at least that I'm aware of)

And that was a useful article, JadaBlue. I suppose I can try and mess with my filter to get a better flow going without stressing Ali out... It doesn't seem to be coming back as quickly as it was (within a week it coated everything, but now there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of growth for some reason - not that I'm complaining).

I started dosing Stress Zyme + to help build up the new filter, so maybe the BB overload is helping. I don't know.

I just would prefer to eliminate the problem without having to turn to Erythromyacin seeing, well, I'm allergic to it for one thing, and I also am hesitant about dosing my fish/plants if there's no disease present.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote