Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #51 
mandimai

I am currently feeding a crummy food: Top Fin Betta Bits, supplemented with freeze-dried bloodworms. The breeder who is sending my new fish is sending his personal mix with him. I plan on trying that, and if it's not to my liking switching to another store bought, high quality food.

Can you feed freeze-dried bloodworms and brine shrimp alone?
mandimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #52 
xxRho

I don't think freeze dry foods should be the main part of a diet but can be used in addition to other things.

With freeze dried foods:
  • let the freeze dry foods soak for a little bit so they don't expand in the gut when the fish eats it
  • remove any sharp/crunchy bits because they can cause internal damage
Freeze Dried is good because unlike live food it doesn't carry disease (unless soiled).

Bettas dietary needs are:
Macronutrients:
  • Fat ~8% (some sources say 10%) & ~15% for conditioning/growth
  • Protein ~40-45% & about 50% for growth/conditioning
  • Carbohydrates this includes fibre, is not needed in large quantities, (but don't eliminate completely!) I'm not sure on the total % of fibre can be safely given to a healthy betta but since they are carnivorous I wouldn't say more than 10% and I'm not sure how much crude fibre can be given. Most sources have said 40% is the very upper limit on total carbs.
and I'm not sure how much micronutrients are needed (but they are needed!)
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #53 
AyalaCookiejar

I respectfully disagree on the freeze dried foods. No, they are not meant to be used as a staple. I feed them once a week. However, I have never experienced bloating issues with them. Pre-soaking them causes them to lose many of the nutrients they DO have in the water. Then you are almost literally feeding a "potato chip" by removing the nutritional value.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #54 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRho View Post
Also with these sorts of food will the copper in it pose a problem for other things in the tank or is it in too low a quantity/okay since you only put as much as the betta will eat at a time?
I'm just wondering because I've been told copper additives to the aquarium (e.g. a copper coin in the filter, copper based meds, etc) will kill all the invertebrates, also a lot of foods has "copper something" in the ingredients (but I also know that copper is needed in the diet of vertebrates for respiratory enzymes and in inverts its used in-place of iron for oxygen transport).
Any thoughts?
No problem with that. By the time you would put in enough food to make the copper a problem, you would have foulded the water with food and killed your fish anyway!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #55 
xxRho

@AyalaCookiejar - I never said they should be used as a stable.

That's good to know about it loosing nutrients I never thought about that but it does make sense *face palm*. What about when you just wet the food before they eat it?

@waterdog - thank you! I thought that would be the case but I wanted to make sure =]
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #56 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRho View Post
@AyalaCookiejar - I never said they should be used as a stable.

That's good to know about it loosing nutrients I never thought about that but it does make sense *face palm*. What about when you just wet the food before they eat it?
I know I was agreeing with you on parts but disagreeing on the soaking. ;)

Their food almost always gets wet before they eat it, but the longer it sits in the water, the more nutrients it'll lose. Many people also say that freeze dried foods lose almost all of their nutrients through the freeze drying process, which I think is a bit of an exaggeration. They do have nutrients and protein, just not a good enough variety.

I've personally seen a fish go months with freeze dried bloodworms ONLY. He didn't get sick or bloated once. In fact, he's still alive.

Would I recommend it as a staple? No. But people make them sound way worse than they are, and I think it scares some people away.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #57 
xxRho

Oh okay my bad.

That's how I thought in regards to the freeze dry food but so many people were like "you have to soak it!".

Because it makes sense that there would be some loss of vitamins/minerals but the protein and other macronutrients (not including water) should still be in there; yes it may be altered by freeze drying it but humans alter their own food when they cook it.
xP
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #58 
AyalaCookiejar

The only time I've soaked food was when feeding meds... I soaked it in vitachem, lol.