Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #11 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emparios View Post
Is normal stresscoat OK? I went to wal-mart (my brother is my hero for the day) and that's all I could find.

I also got some aquarium salt, so I'll be adding that in, too. 1/2 tsp per gallon, right?

As for the fridge water, I normally leave it out a while before changing his tanks water. I've never really had to use water conditioner for my bettas, but then again, this is the first time I've actually had a nice sized tank. My first two bettas were in a half-gallon, then I read, after they died(one from jumping out, the other from a cold winter), they didn't like small tanks, so I bought the 5 gallon when I got Cyclone.
Stress Coat is perfect. You only need something like Prime if you have ammonia problems with your water.

Aquarium salt is 1 tsp per g, but I would only use the Stress Coat. The salt won't encourage growth of new healthy scales, Stress Coat will. In fact, it might be uncomfortable for him.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #12 
BettaFran

When you add new water make sure it's within at least a degree or two of his tank water temp. Otherwise he could get quite shocked. And add the StressCoat to each batch if fresh water you add after water changes. Hope your guy gets better soon. Good save!
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #13 
sainthogan

My female did that same exact thing. Warm, clean water, and covering the holes, is what helped her. Her fins and tail were pretty torn up, but after a few months, they all grew back and now 10 months later, you'd never even know that it happened.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #14 
Emparios

He died a couple of hours ago I hated it, I actually was looking in on him when he took his last breath... Just now flushed him, though, too upset earlier...
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #15 
Saphira101

I am so sorry Emparios. Losing fish sucks. I lost my little Spud yesterday, and it was torture. I hope you feel better soon. :(
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
He died a couple of hours ago I hated it, I actually was looking in on him when he took his last breath... Just now flushed him, though, too upset earlier...
I'm sorry. Sometimes that ends up happening. But, know that you did your best and he knows you did your best for him.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #17 
Emparios

Thank you for your help, guys, and your sympathies . Just hope that when I start looking for another I can find one that has at least half the character he did (some don't believe it, but fish can have personality ). Hope you feel better eventually, too, Saphira ^-^
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #18 
Saphira101

Quote:
Thank you for your help, guys, and your sympathies . Just hope that when I start looking for another I can find one that has at least half the character he did (some don't believe it, but fish can have personality ). Hope you feel better eventually, too, Saphira ^-^
Thanks Emparios. I know exactly what you mean, each fish has a different personality. Sometimes when they are sick, they won't show it. But when they are feeling well, they can have spunk! I know this because I have seven little fishies myself. :)

I'd suggest buying an adjustable heter before you get your next betta, just so s/he has everything s/he needs. I hope you find your dream betta!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #19 
Emparios

Yea, I should think about getting a heater ^-^ I've also been thinking of a bigger tank, but my budgets kinda tight. And I'd have no where to put it when I go to college

And I love spunky fish! Just have to watch out: in my experience, they are the ones who like to jump
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #20 
Saphira101

Quote:
Yea, I should think about getting a heater ^-^ I've also been thinking of a bigger tank, but my budgets kinda tight. And I'd have no where to put it when I go to college

And I love spunky fish! Just have to watch out: in my experience, they are the ones who like to jump
Yes, mine are quite the jumpers. I use a special type of tank (which is actually meant for reptile transport, I believe) for my jumpers though, like this:

I stick the heater cord out of the lid, leaving about a quarter inch of jumping space.

I think though that you'd be fine by just putting plastic wrap on the areas where the fish can jump out of. :)