Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #1 
tink77

My to guys living together

These guys have been living together for three weeks. The swim close together and pay no attention to each other. At first the red one would chase the blue one, but not anymore. He will start to flair up but then stops. They stay pretty close to each other, the aquarium is a 55g. They stay at the same end and feed at the top together.
Attached Images

tink77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #2 
registereduser

OK but someday you might wake up to dead fish, be prepared.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 
Fenghuang

*sigh* I am just going to quote a past post I made.

Quote:
Some people may have gotten lucky with two calm specimens, but just because they hadn't turned on each other doesn't mean they won't. Bettas are unpredictable. It also doesn't mean they aren't stressed out. Just being in the presence of other males can stress some fish out, even if they don't have fins or scales ripped off of them. We see the occasional new member come on and claim they have successfully kept two males or a male and a female or a male and multiple females together and their fish "seem fine" or "happy" or like "they like each other" and ignore anyone else's attempt to warn them and dissuade them from such practices.

However, we never hear follow-ups on these cases. The members just disappear. I imagine that sh*t hit the fan and they came home one day and found fish fins and guts strewn all over their tank. But do they report that to us? No. No one wants to admit they made a mistake and done something wrong.

I won't say it isn't possible. I am saying it is something that takes a lot of trial and errors to find the two males that will just tolerate each other (while risking the lives of multiple living things in the process) and the fish keeper always being on guard. No, "oh, I just watched them for two hours and they hadn't killed each other." Always. I do not think it is worth subjecting your bettas to pain, stress, suffering, and potential death just so you can say you've gone the unconventional route and "succeeded."
Here is a whole thread of people's sentiments about keeping two male bettas together, if you are looking for more: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ighlight=males
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #4 
tink77

Well they may kill each other or not, but until then they are fine. There are more fish in the tank than just them. The red one sometimes chases the other fish as the other fish sometimes chases him. Name me one animal that can be predictable from one minute to the next. I am not new to aquariums I have had one for over twenty years. I have tried keeping fish together when other say not too. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. This aqarium has plenty of room and places to hide. If they just kill each other on site, you would not have any in the wild.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #5 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink77 View Post
If they just kill each other on site, you would not have any in the wild.
There is a vital flaw in this statement. The aggression of domesticated betta splendens is a human invention. Think those flowing fins and bright colours are found in the wild? They aren't and neither is the aggression. These traits were developed over centuries of selective breeding. Your bettas have never ever existed in the wild and comparing them to wilds is like comparing apples to oranges. Many species of wild bettas can be kept together in aquaria far more successfully than domesticated bettas. Furthermore, wild bettas establish and defend much larger territories than what your 55 gallon tank can simulate anyway, so it's a moot point.

I am not attacking you or your years of fishkeeping expertise. In fact, for the sake of your fish, I really do hope this setup works out for you. I am simply stating my opinion. You post on a forum and you are going to have to expect to get feedback postive or negative.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #6 
tink77

This is your opinion, they are living together right now just fine. I didn't say i've got the only two male Bettas in the world living together. I showed a picture of my two living together just fine for 3 weeks. I will post about them has time goes bye, and if they kill each other, I'll post about that too.

Last edited by Romad; 06-21-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: language/implied language
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 
peachii

Welcome to the site.

I hope you enjoy it here and find much useful information. Please let me know if you have any questions. :)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful boys. Despite the odds, I hope it works out for all three of you.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #9 
lilyth88

So you're willingly putting your fish at risk of a painful death and for what... what reason would you have?

Last edited by lilyth88; 06-22-2013 at 01:28 AM.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #10 
trilobite

....fighting fish....fighting...fish....

"He will start to flair up but then stops"
One is more dominant meaning the submissive one will be stressed out since he is in the constant company of another dominant male. Naturally if one wandered into anothers territory they would fight the loser would leave, in a tank they cant leave.

I recommend you separate them since there really is no reason to have them together
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote