Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #11 
BettaSquirt

My mom went to petco to get me some medicine for them. And she got this meds that are by Jungle, but its called Lifeguard. It says it treats all fungle infections and stuff, including fin rot. Their tabs so i have to cut them in half and everything everyday. Tonight im going to clean Leos and Gurgles tank, then sometime tomoarrow im going to clean Squirts and Cosmos. Should I do anything special when cleaning their tanks? I know that i have to wash the decor in hot water.
Anything else?
Thanks
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #12 
BettaSquirt

ALSO! xD
When I clean their tanks, I already add salt, enough for each tank. (1/2 teaspoon for 1 gallons, 1 teaspoon for 2.5 gallons, and 1/4 teaspoon for 1/5 a gallon.)
So should i still do saltbaths? Because its like they already live in saltbaths. :P
Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #13 
BettaSquirt

UPDATE:
UGH oh my gosh. Okay, the new meds I got, Did not work at all. I just cleaned tanks. And Half of Cosmos tail is gone. erg. My moms getting annoyed with me keep getting medicine. None of them are working! I dont know what else to do. Im getting so sick and tired of this stupid finrot that just will NOT GO AWAY!!!!! D:
Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #14 
ShadowBlackmare

I know how you feel, my boy has fin rot, it just wont quit, it made it worse, he now he swimming on his side, and his right eye has a white thing over it...
ShadowBlackmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettasquirt, how long did you use the medicine. Could it be that you just didn't give it enough time to work?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #16 
BettaSquirt

i used it for one week, then it ran out.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

oh, ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #18 
BettaSquirt

So I deep-cleaned Cosmos tank. (Boil Rocks, clean tank, fresh water, salt, water conditioner, and I put the decor in hot water.) I'm going to do that every other day or every third day. (But I wont boil rocks all over again.) I have no medicine right now. Anything else I should do?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #19 
BakaMandy

Hmmm I would just take out the rocks, it's a nuisance to constant clean, it's just easier to dump all the water out and replace it every day. How many gallons is your tank?

If it's a large tank, you should invest in a hospital tank of maybe 1 gallon. It's easier to clean that way. If you have anything around a 3 gallon, you can just fill it half way and it works fine. You don't need that much water in the tank since you'll be replacing it daily :)
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #20 
NullDevice

You said that the tank water is filtered and that the fin rot seems to get worse after you do a water change. I used to have a problem like this, I finally figured out it's because my water conditioner didn't really eliminate ammonia from tap water, it just rendered it non-toxic. When the conditioned water was added to my tank, the nitrifying bacteria in my bio-filter consumed the still-present ammonia, spitting out more nitrite than the bacteria which convert it to nitrate were used to. So, every time I changed the water, my poor betta was getting hit with a nitrite spike.

It took me a long time to catch this because by the next day after a water change, the nitrite would have already been eaten up and the water tested clean. But one time I tested for nitrite maybe a couple hours after changing, and sure enough it showed positive.

I was using Stress Coat, which is supposed to completely neutralize chloramine. However, an ammonia test on water conditioned with it still showed positive for ammonia. So clearly it doesn't remove ammonia completely, it only converts it. Possibly other brands work in a preferable way.

What I started doing was to fill a half-gallon secondary tank with water from the main tank and put the betta in it (along with a small heater set to keep the temp correct in this small space). Then I'd refill the main tank with newly conditioned water and let the bacteria do their work overnight. The next day the water would test negative for ammonia and nitrite, and I'd transfer the fish back in.

I don't know if your problem has anything to do with this or not, I just thought I'd post because the water change + finrot cycle sounded familiar. Good luck with your bettas.
NullDevice is offline   Reply With Quote