Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #11 
screwball69

I've got the tank up and running, havnt put the fish in since i'm waiting for the water to get to the right temp and what not. I have the filter to the far left side of the tank so the small current it creates wont bother him as much hopefully untill I can still a baffle on it. my question though is there any issues from having it to the side like that?
screwball69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #12 
Vickytoria3112

My filter is on the right side and it still filters fine. However, on the left side I'm noticing that there isn't much movement so there is a buildup of some sort on the glass because of no movement. Today I will be putting an air stone on that side to help with the water movement. You could try and put in the center and see how much movement your getting on both sides. I would try and center mines but since the hood was pre-cut, I had to put the filter where it was intended by the manufacturer. Don't want any fishies jumping out, sure my dog will find them before I do so the hood needs to stay on at my place.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #13 
screwball69

I imagine thats just algae
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #14 
Dwarden3

My betta is in a 10gal and he does fine. I noticed some algae problems, so I got a snail, and everything has cleared up. Good luck!
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #15 
screwball69

So I put him in the 10g tank, so far he is ok but the current on my filter is far stonger than i thought it would be. I dont have anything to make a baffle out of at the moment. would it be ok to put the smaller filter from my 2g tank in there untill I can or would it not cycle enough water?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #16 
Vickytoria3112

screwball, my tank is too new to have algea. I couldn't think of the word at the time I typed here but it actually was calcium and limescale deposits. Water hear in Florida is hard.

I'm in the middle of cycling my own 10 gallon tank!

You could use the old filter but it won't filter that amount of water properly. But it should do till you get something better. Just as long as you didn't use any cleaners on it. I read hear that media from an established tank is actually good in helping your tank cycle faster. Just as long as you didn't throw away any of the media and also if you didn't let it dry out. That's what I read so far. We are almost on the same boat.

When I'm done cycling this tank I'm going to use the media and substrate to help me cycle my 25 gallon tank.

Glad your Betta has a bigger home.

Last edited by Vickytoria3112; 06-21-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #17 
screwball69

Ahh, yeah that makes sense, not sure you can do much other than scrub it off when you are changing water.

I manage to buld a makeshift baffle out of a 4l water jug for now so I'm still using the bigger filter, heres hoping it is baffled enough.
I did take a few of the objects from his older tank and transferred them across so hopefully all goes well

I hope he is glad hes got a bigger home to
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #18 
Vickytoria3112

I'm sure he'll be ok. My Elfy was so excited to be in his 10 gallon that it took him 3 days to eat. He was busy taking a 3 day tour around the tank. But then again he came home in a cup and I'm sure he never even saw gravel in his short life. All was new to him. Bettas are so funny!

My Avatar is Elfy.

He's an Elephant Ear, Halfmoon, Butterfly Betta. So I was told.

Last edited by Vickytoria3112; 06-21-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #19 
screwball69

Finn is my beta, I really should take a pic of him. he is a pretty blue.
Hes pretty exited he has been doing the same circut of the tank over and over taking a look at stuff