Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #1 
beckydelanee

Exclamation it's definitely bloat....?

my crowntail betta, Fierce (inspired by his tail), got his first case of bloat back in June. when i first got him, he lived in a retail store where i spent (literally) most of my time there when i worked there for 3 months and i only fed him flakes. after three months, i moved him back to my house because i quit that horrible retail job (where i slept on my job because it was unbelievably slow and did my hair most of the time), and started to feed him bloodworms. of course, i over fed him because i didn't understand the concept that they love to eat. he pooped every day on a regular basis, sometimes twice in one day. but he never bloated, EVER.
up until his first year out of those pint size jars i save him from, he started to bloat! this would be his second time already.

- i keep him in a 1/2 gallon container
- started to do 2x 100% water changes a week.
- fast him every sunday
- switched to pellets, hikari bio-gold pellets.
- feed him 3-4 pellets a day, soaked in a little cup of current tank water (he prefers them soaked)
- i've fed him a pea monday night where he did a MAJOR poop the next morning then stopped

i have no clue what's going on with him. i came upstairs from doing my laundry, he's belly has gone down from the morning.
30 minutes later, i felt thirsty so i go back into the kitchen to grab a glass of water and i examined him, AND HIS BELLY GREW AGAIN! he is showing no signs of dropsy because i check up on him all the time, he still have his vibrant colours, eats ALL THE TIME, enjoys to see my company, swims up to greet me (reminds me of mikoto), fins are not clamped in any way, and still blows bubble nests. i'd say he's a very healthy fish, next to being bloated.

what should i do? the petsmart nearby doesn't sell daphnia. i know this because i walked up and down the same aisle 5 times to look for them to storm out of the store fuming with rage.

this is totally random, but is anyone else terrified of dropsy? i told my friends the three things i'm scared of and i listed them from 1-3, 3 being the worst!
1) split ends, zoomed in 300x
2) hair breakage, zoomed in 300x
3) and DROPSY!!!
they actually all look similar, lol

but anyways, i would say it's not that big of a bloat. i'll estimate his belly as 1.5 of this body width, so pretty much, he's bloated 1/2 his size.

i'm going to try Big Al's in the morning to see if they have any daphnia. but if they don't, does brine shrimp work the same way? should i try another pea again? how much times should they poop a week? could it be an internal infection and treat it with?

that not what Fierce looks like, but that's what his belly looks like.
beckydelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #2 
beckydelanee

i forgot to add, he also has small cotton-like things on this pectoral fin. is it fungus?
if i can't find daphnia for his bloat/constipation, is krill or brine shrimp okay?

thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #3 
kal123456

does he still eat?
kal123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #4 
beckydelanee

like no tomorrow. he's pretty much a real heathly fish. still non signs of raised fins whatsoever. he's content, blowing bubbles all the time, greets me all the time etc. what he normally does all the time.

if anyone wanted to know, i've searched through every post and none has the same or similar situation.

about the fungus, i got myself a closer look, pectoral fins has a little bit of green.

any suggestions about krill? or will it make him bloat even bigger?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #5 
sharon

does the white stuff on the fin look like cotton wool, or like strings?can you see any mucous? the bloating could be from internal parasites esp if stringy,take a real close look, if stringy is this green or greeny white? or it could be cotton wool fungus,green is often a sign of infection, I would treat both,I suspect the treatment is the same for both, take a pic on your mobile to show the LFS, I don't know about bettas but I do know that my cichlids benefit from the regular pea thing, i cant see that it would do any harm, although he had a big poop, there may be more to come but I would definitely be more concerned about the fungus (or whatever), it could well be connected

Last edited by sharon; 09-03-2009 at 03:10 AM.
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #6 
sharon

forgot to say, melafix, 5ml in 15 liters for 5 days should cure most things, but ask someone more knowledgeable first,and if it were dropsy I would expect his fins to look like a pine cone and eyes to bulge, and will you post how you go on?

Last edited by sharon; 09-03-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #7 
beckydelanee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
does the white stuff on the fin look like cotton wool, or like strings?can you see any mucous? the bloating could be from internal parasites esp if stringy,take a real close look, if stringy is this green or greeny white? or it could be cotton wool fungus,green is often a sign of infection, I would treat both,I suspect the treatment is the same for both, take a pic on your mobile to show the LFS, I don't know about bettas but I do know that my cichlids benefit from the regular pea thing, i cant see that it would do any harm, although he had a big poop, there may be more to come but I would definitely be more concerned about the fungus (or whatever), it could well be connected
on the fins: i've gotten a closer look at his fins, it's not cotton-like, or stringy. it's actually the colour of his pectoral fins. on both sides, he has a little bit of green. but i will take him to the LFS to check on him before i work at 11, i'll even ask to start 30 minutes later as i need to take a trip to the beauty supplier to pick up some colour tubes. it's 11pm and it's late :( but lucky for me, i live 5 minutes walk from the beauty supply store and my LFS.

for bloat: today would be the full 24 hours since i fasted him and it has gone down a little, i have him a pea but he did this business overnight and it came out green from the pea. i thought about it over night (while talking to my fish outloud) that i believe it could be an internal problem (but i don't believe it is because he's swimming just fine. he raises to the top of his tank when i look over at him). so i'm going to have to bring him to my LFS because it's better if they see it.

i'll notify you via PM if any sudden changes (both good and bad) have occurred. so far, he's still happy. i move him from his temp. tank to his home tank and he missed his silk plant alot. he has been swimming non-stop.

it could just be constipation and i'm freaking over nothing but i'll still be taking him to my LFS just in case.

thanks for your help sharon.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #8 
JamieTron

good update! I am glad to see his bloat seemed to decrease a bit
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #9 
beckydelanee

i forgot to add that he flares at another picture of a betta fish. especially the one on the hikari bio-gold pellets -_____________________-;;;;; but he'll continue to do it for 3 minutes!

how he makes me laugh :)
Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #10 
sharon

hope you sort it, if meds are needed its always better if they are eating well,