Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #1 
MADxMAC771

Staying near the top

Ira had grown a tumor or sore on the side of his face last week and was found floating on his side at the top. He was still swimming with vigor and eating just the same. I started him on a beta fix treatment and have been doing daily salt baths now for 3 days. He no longer is floating on his side but does still seem to have trouble swimming down and leaving the surface. His attitude is fine and his appetite is healthy. Whats up?
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like swimbladder disorder. Try fasting him for a few days and then feed him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #3 
MADxMAC771

hes pooped in the past 24hrs, it was in the tank a min ago and i took it out. Is there anything else it could be? If he has pooped would that mean that its not constipation? I have been limiting his food, but not fasting him for 3 days. 2-3 pellets a day. Some times replacing a pelled with either a betta flake, a blood worm or some daphnia.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #4 
kal123456

My betta fish had swimbladder disorders all the time. I never did anything and it went away by itself in 3-5 days, sometimes earlier. Don't be worried, your betta won't die! This disease very rarely kills!
kal123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Just try fasting a little bit, it won't hurt him. Bettas can go up to four weeks without eating. And I wouldn't suggest letting him ride it out all the time, because it could kill him. Try lowering his water by half, so he can reach the top of the tank easily if he starts to sink. Then try what drama said. If you can't find daphnia, you can use peas, but don't use it too often, and only as a last resort.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #6 
MADxMAC771

I currently have him on a Betafix regiment and am doing daily salt baths. I didnt get to give him his bath yesterday because he wouldn't let me catch him. He must be feeling better if he can run away like that. Im only so worried because in the passed month I lost my other beta to a SBD infection that seeming spread throughout him.