Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #1 
10asartin

Debating Spong Filter

I have heard wonderful things about sponge filters and I am thinking of switching my tanks over to them. However, I wanted to find out some more about them before making a purchase.

First off, how strong is the water flow? With my betta and floating dwarf water lettuce I don't want anything that pushes around a lot of water. Also, kind of related to this, is the filter compatible with sand substrate? I wouldn't want a bunch of sand sucked into it.

Lastly, other than the sponge filter itself is there any other additional equipment I would need to purchase. I am looking into getting the Hydro 3 sponge filter and noticed that many people also buy air pumps with it. Is this a must or is it just for increasing water flow through the filter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
I have heard wonderful things about sponge filters and I am thinking of switching my tanks over to them. However, I wanted to find out some more about them before making a purchase.

First off, how strong is the water flow? With my betta and floating dwarf water lettuce I don't want anything that pushes around a lot of water. Also, kind of related to this, is the filter compatible with sand substrate? I wouldn't want a bunch of sand sucked into it.
LOVE LOVE LOVE my sponge filters, I have them in 10g, 5.5g, 5g & have used one in a 2.5g. You can control the flow with the valve on the airline. VERY little water disturbance. I have one Betta that actually sleeps on the sponge filter. I can't answer about the sand as I have gravel.
Lastly, other than the sponge filter itself is there any other additional equipment I would need to purchase. I am looking into getting the Hydro 3 sponge filter and noticed that many people also buy air pumps with it. Is this a must or is it just for increasing water flow through the filter?
You need an air pump, airline tubing & you may have to purchase a pack of valves (some air pumps come with one valve).
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

I have sand. There isn't enough flow to disturb sand.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 
10asartin

Sounds like that answers everything! Thanks you guys for your answers. Definitely going to be purchasing them soon!
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

More than you ever wanted to know:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...hy-how-126530/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote