Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
feralhound

setting up first NPT, quick questions

I've obtained a 2.5 gallon tank from a coworkers that I would like to try and set up as a planted tank. I've read a couple different things that have me a bit confused. I have Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil, I'm looking for some sand to cap it off.
Or gravel- I have some regular gravel left over from my other tank, the colorful kind you would find at walmart, or is that too big? (I don't have the original package for the exact size). Would play sand for a sandbox work?

I've read about mixing potting clay with the topsoil to add iron, and I've heard about putting balls of clay into the soil as well- I was just curious is that why most of the tanks I see have a clay pot in the tank? Not only for selter for teh fish but for iron for the plants?

Where do you guys get your plants? Especially if you're just setting one up, I've read it's supposed to be heavily planted and was wondering is there a site that you order them off or just go to the petstore?
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

I use play sand. I haven't killed anybody with it yet. I just buy whatever plants are well priced and trim them down to fit. I replant the trimmings of stem plants. Doing thy type of tank you are doing, make sure you sift the potting mix well and add sand to it. Make sure the plants are where you want them because it makes a big mess it you try and move them when it is done. Also, you may want to add a hardscape feature where you can add water so you don't disturb the substrate. I'm tearing my NPT down this weekend and redoing it. It's a mess from moving plants and water changes. I plan on adding a thin layer of gravel over the sand.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote