Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #1 
Alavna

Question Calming an excitable fish

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how to calm an excitable fish? Or even ways to expend some of their energy?

Stanley has always been an active fish. Lately however he has been getting more and more excitable when it comes to seeing me and when it's feeding time. It's gotten to the point that he's torn one of his fins this morning.

I've tried feeding him at certain times and even spreading it out over the day, no change. He's started to launch himself at the food and attack it. Silly boy nearly launched himself out of his tank!

I've tried putting a mirror in front of his tank to see if that would expend some of his energy through flaring but he's not very interested in it.
Alavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 
sainthogan

How much are you feeding him each feeding? Some people have had luck either upping the amount or lowering the amount per feeding. Generally, people feed twice a day with a lot of luck. My little girl is a jumper too and will jump if I don't feed her fast enough, but I've had more luck by feeding her more per feeding. I was feeding her 3 pellets per feeding, now I'm feeding her 5-6 twice a day and that has helped a lot. She still gets excited, but not like she's going to burst out of her tank when she sees me. I also had to spend a lot more non-feeding time with her so that she's learned not to expect food every time she sees me.
As far as my male goes, he's a scaredy cat, and could care less if I'm there to feed him. I'm not even quite sure if he completely understands that I'm the one giving him food (I think he may have some brain damage). I can't get him to flare either, he runs from his reflection or plays dead.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
active, active betta, energy, excitable