Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #1 
KKCOTNER

Arrow Betta is Flaring Too Much!! Help!!

Happy Father's Day to you Dad's Out there!!!

I wasn't sure where to post my question so I decided I would start here first. I have had my Betta Fish Dougi in a Marineland 5 Gallon Hex for about 3 months now and He had done great until about a week ago till he started noticing that he could see his reflection in the sides of the hexagon of the aquarium....I am thinking about getting him a new home because I am getting very worried about him....two nights ago.....He literally made me jump....He was swimming so fast and flaring and running into the sides...I had to take one of the live plants out because he kept swimming by it and injuring his tail....which is now is not looking good at all......it was moneywort plant.....The light is not on right now but he is still flaring.....I just don't want him stressed out too much....He is still blowing bubbles and He is not at the bottom but is that normal?? He bows up like he is taking on the world.... Is there an aquarium that I can get the he won't see his reflection in?? Any ideas?? Thanks a bunch you guys!!!
KKCOTNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 
sainthogan

If you have his light off, and the room lights on, he will see his reflection, so cover his tank if you are turning his light off. If you have his light on and the room lights off, he will see his reflection, so if his lights are on, keep the room lights on, or the windows open so enough light comes in to offset the lack of room lights.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 
lissienen

Another thing that some people do is cover all but one side of the aquarium in background/tissue paper/etc. so that it won't reflect and show him himself, that way he won't be able to see himself all over the place and will flare much less. Although I have a boy who was doing that for about a week once and after he got used to seeing himself all of the time it slowly died down and now he only charges himself every once in a very great while.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 
Setsuna

theres nothing you can do if he flares by himself its normal anyways
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #5 
countyrd419

Rusty has the same problem KKCOTNER too. I put a plant on the right side of his tank. I have noticed that he is flaring less as he is getting used to seeing his reflection. When you have the tank light on, the extra heat that is gives off makes Rusty feel good so he gets charged and flares his fins too. The only I would worry if he really charges at the tanks and pecks real hard at the edges. Rusty and your pet are doing something that is natural for a male betta which is defending their home.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #6 
countyrd419

Flaring Betta

Well, the plant that I place in the right hand corner of my tank is not working as well as I thought.

I recently did a water change and now there are little gaps between the vines in which Rusty's sees his reflection and pecks at it. I am wondering if the vinyl clings scenes that are sold at PetSmart might help calm him down but I bet that whatever reflection he see's he will go after it until he gets used to the idea that it is just his reflection and not another betta that looks like him entering his home.

I am well aware that this is natural behavior for male bettas to defend their homes. I will show the community a picture of Rusty's tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 
sainthogan

The vinyl clings might help, as long as they're not shiny and reflective. Usually people go with some sort of non-reflective backdrop to try to help with this problem.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #8 
countyrd419

I am going to research this at www.petsmart.com to see what they sell or some other website which sells non reflective vinyl clings.