Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #11 
ifish

first of all welcome to the fish fourm and i would get a bigger tank around 2 gallons and a heater it you get cold winters but i think the mirror is crual making a betta scared and ready to fight is just mean
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #12 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish View Post
first of all welcome to the fish fourm and i would get a bigger tank around 2 gallons and a heater it you get cold winters but i think the mirror is crual making a betta scared and ready to fight is just mean
Using a mirror occasionally is okay. It keeps a bored Betta entertained and it can exercise them some. Plus, it's a great way to help a constipated Betta.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #13 
ifish

yeah but everyday is excive wait bettas like it?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #14 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Using a mirror occasionally is okay. It keeps a bored Betta entertained and it can exercise them some. Plus, it's a great way to help a constipated Betta.
I just learned something new.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #15 
ifish

ive only done it once and hydro mad a poo and got rid of sbd
Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #16 
Kim

That's great that you are getting a bigger tank! Make sure to get a heater- that will really perk him up :)

Bettas are tropical fish, so try to keep the temp up around 78-80 F and keep the water nice and clean. Remember, unless you cycle the tank you will still have to do regular full water changes even with the filter.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #17 
Jynx

that sounds awesome- having more space and new food should perk him up a bit
the betta is a good pet for a little kid- I have a four year old too- and they are really easy to look after but they do display more natural behaviors and live longer when they have a little more space.
oh- some betta also like the live ghost shrimp to eat. They cost about 30-50 cents each and the betta will hunt them. I don't know how you feel about feeding live food with your boy there- mine really likes to see lizards eat crickets and such so i get the shrimp sometimes- it's the food chain. That will perk him up for sure. The live shrimp will also help keep the tank clean.

and getting excited about a mirror or a feather or something won't hurt the fish so long as it's not a constant thing. seeing a rival briefly makes the fish think he's sooo big and scary his rivals don't even want to fight him- they see him and run away- that's what the fish thinks when he sees his reflection and then it's gone again. getting him to flare up is also a good way to check the fins for damage and have a look at his overall health.

Last edited by Jynx; 09-03-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote