Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #61 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Kiki has gone off to her forever-home and she's doing well! Only crying a few times but doing well otherwise her owner tells me!

Fionna is left but she's also doing well! She slept on me for an hour and a half last night! I'm hoping now that she should look forward to humans coming down to play with her. She keeps herself quite entertained though so it should be just fine.

Poor Misha, she kept looking under the wood pile and where the kittens normally play to look for her lost babies! God, it seriously broke my heart but she seemed fine after an hour or so and stayed by me and her kitten when Fionna was sleeping on my shoe which I was wearing at the time haha.

But Fionna has a vet appt for July 2nd so that's the day she'll be leaving! Another two weeks with the precious girl, sorry I don't have pics ><
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #62 
Riverotter

Congrats on doing a good job raising them and finding them good homes!!

It is always bittersweet to see them go. I'm glad you'll still be able to visit Coconut, it does help.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #63 
countyrd419

My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please keep us informed.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #64 
countyrd419

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us informed.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #65 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So all have gone home, Fionna will be leaving in two days!!

So turns out that they all ended up being girls XD whoops! Yeah Padfoot (Teddy)'s owner texted me and goes "So Teddy is actually a girl..." and I'm like "Whoops, there go my sexing skills sorry!" and she just goes "lol" and I haven't heard from again. I hope she gives Padfoot a good home and doesn't shun for being a girl, she's still super outgoing for a kitten so I wouldn't see why there is a problem although I did know she wanted a boy cat. Nothing I can do about it though except keep up tabs on their progress at least

But everyone else is doing well! Coconut is growing like a weed and Kiki is fitting nicely into her new home
Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #66 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So Fionna just left to her home, she actually had a vet apt. at 4 (half hour into the apt now) and all's going well!

I've been getting updated pictures of Kiki like, everyday XD lol her owner loves pictures which is great for me!

Coconut is doing fantastic and has now been fixed so that's doing well there now.

And Padfoot/Teddy ended up being called Ivy which I thought is cute ^_^ her owner was a bit upset that she wasn't a boy but still loves her all the same of which I'm super thankful about! I was a bit worried that she wouldn't care for her the same since she wanted a boy so bad but what she really wanted was an outgoing cat and she certainly got one!

So all is well! Mama is doing alright, she seems sad but she's okay. She's losing most of her fur and 2 guesses as to why >.> my mom comes home with a different brand nearly every week for her to eat. I warned her that switching foods was bad, but did she listen? No and now she can't understand why Misha is losing her fur and if I try to suggest that it's the food, my head will be ripped off for good. *sigh* poor Misha :-/

And that's all the updates for today! Thank you all so much for supporting us and helping out! A special thanks to Riverotter too!!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #67 
Beezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post

Any tips on how to successfully wean them off and what brands of food I should watch out for? I know most of the cheap stuff has a lot of allergens in them and stuff. I'm sure brands differ from each area but my friend is feeding her kitten Taste of the Wild, anyone heard of it?

I work at a pet food store and have learned a whole bunch about quality of foods.

Stay away from foods with corn because corn is the #1 allergen in cats and dogs. I would recommend Wellness brand. It is a pretty good brand. While Natura brand foods (innova, california natural, and evo) used to be a great brand, they were bought by proctor and gamble and have had a ridiculous problem with recalls in the past few months.

Also Blue buffalo is a pretty good brand. But i would totally recommend Wellness. They have a good sized variety of both wet and dry foods. Even for picky eaters who like their food a certain shape :P

eta: someone else mentioned taste of the wild, that is an excellent food too. thats what i feed my kitties.

Also, if you had fun raising these babies, you should look into fostering for shelters. they always need help during kitten season fostering the babies until they are old enough to be spayed and put up for adoption.

Last edited by Beezu; 07-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #68 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezu View Post
I work at a pet food store and have learned a whole bunch about quality of foods.

Stay away from foods with corn because corn is the #1 allergen in cats and dogs. I would recommend Wellness brand. It is a pretty good brand. While Natura brand foods (innova, california natural, and evo) used to be a great brand, they were bought by proctor and gamble and have had a ridiculous problem with recalls in the past few months.

Also Blue buffalo is a pretty good brand. But i would totally recommend Wellness. They have a good sized variety of both wet and dry foods. Even for picky eaters who like their food a certain shape :P

eta: someone else mentioned taste of the wild, that is an excellent food too. thats what i feed my kitties.

Also, if you had fun raising these babies, you should look into fostering for shelters. they always need help during kitten season fostering the babies until they are old enough to be spayed and put up for adoption.
Everyone's already grown up and out the door! But thanks for the info. It unfortunately wasn't me buying the food so we ended up with a lot of different stuff....which is bad :/ but they seemed to do well and grow up wonderfully but the last kitten went off to her forever-home today.

As much as I enjoyed it, I'm pretty sure that my mom would kill me if I decided to foster kittens. It's bad enough we had to get Misha fixed and still buying food for her (which she switches up every freaking week) and the poor girl is losing all her fur and she's itchy. I can tell, it's exactly the same thing tha happened to our other cat, Siberian who lost as his fur due to allergies. But she won't hear it, she thinks it's fleas. I just did a full check on her and she doesn't have a flea speck on her and honestly, if they had fleas we would have been infested by now but NOOOO mom knows best.

Gee, look at me, 20 years old and still arguing with my mom about it. It's frustrating she won't listen though, although she grew up with cat's all her life she doesn't really know about good care. We gave good care to our cats, but it wasn't really good care. At least we kept our older cats on the same diet (however it was Meow Mix, the same stuff Siberian was allergic to) but she claims that she get's what's on sale. It's not hard to keep to the same Friskies flavor each time, changing the formula so much is what's killing her >.< but she won't listen to me.

I literally have to relate things to humans all the time. "Okay ma, what do I do when I have an allergic reaction? Depending on what it is, I can get itchy, get hives and rashes, it's the same thing that's happening to Misha. It's not fleas that are making her itch and lose fur, fleas don't make cats lose fur in big tufts like that!" but she still doesn't take it.....
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #69 
Riverotter

I'm glad I could help!!

The thing about changing foods - if it's a good quality food don't worry about it. I change my guy's food pretty regularly because we're really rural and my preferred brand isn't always available. So long as none of the first 3 ingredients are a grain, they never mind. It's the grains in the food that bother them and throw their digestion off balance. it definitely sounds like Misha has an allergy and grain is probably it.

If you were closer I'd give you goat's milk for her! Raw goat's milk helps my guys a lot. Pasturized cow's milk from the store does not compare, and can upset their stomachs.

Last edited by Riverotter; 07-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #70 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I'm aware about the milk and cat's. It's the same in us, we're not built to digest cow's milk or other milk in that case and thus creating constipation problems or other digestive issues.

As far as the brand, it's been Friskies except for the first three times we bought food where it was Purina All Natural and then it was Meow Mix and then back to Purina and now has been Friskies but it's a different flavor each time, which means a different formula. I haven't looked at the ingredients since we got a type from walmart which was horrible and disgusting but I know Friskies is not a great brand, better than store brands but still not great.

Any way to make my mom see that it's a problem? I've already tried the subtle approach and informing her about it nicely but she still doesn't want to hear it :-/ I know she loves the cat but at the same time hates taking care of it (not that she does much except buy the food, I take care of the rest).

Also how to convince my mom that she doesn't have fleas? I looked her over thoroughly last night and found no fleas whatsoever. Also she's been the basement for just about 3 months now, would we not be overrun with fleas if there had been eggs or fleas on her?? Also, would I not be bitten up by flea's since I spend the most time with them and even in shorts half the time....I know bugs are especially attracted to my blood because of my diet, I can't go outside without mosquito's nearly tearing a whole layer of skin off (well that's not entirely true lol) but either way, I know fleas would love to get on me just for a bite. I know they can't live on humans and needed a furred host, but would that all not be true if she did in fact have fleas of any sort or am I just making this up??