Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No need to rinse, just stuff the pantyhose and use as much gravel as you want. You can use multiple parts of the pantyhose if you cut off at the mid-calf that's one, then you can tie the part that's still in tact on the pantyhose and cut another 6 or so inches up to fill that with gravel as well if you like. Just tie both ends really well. Then after it's done you can take it out, put it back in the 5 gallon, cut the pantyhose and let it fall out
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #42 
Seki

Oh, my bad, I meant I'd rinse the pantyhose lol. I think rinsing the gravel might destroy the effect of it being seeded hahaha.

Alrighty, gonna get the seeded gravel in there now. Hopefully I'll start seeing some parameter spikes in the next couple of weeks! Just got my new liquid test kit yesterday (my old one had run out... I was so sad!), time to get some testing done!

ETA: With new sand, how often to I need to aerate it?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #43 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, yeah you can either rinse or not rinse the pantyhose, really doesn't matter as long as it's never been washed.

And with all sand you should churn it every 8 weeks (lol almost wrote hours there and I was like NOOOO! Not hours! lol) but I churn a small portion of it each week when I do a water change so that it doesn't all build up at once, that way I never forget about it, you know?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #44 
Seki

Woo!! Heater arrived and seems to be in perfect condition. Thankfully, even if it ends up malfunctioning somehow, I don't have any fish in the tank for it to kill, so I can safely monitor it until I am confident it's working properly.

Now I have this mangrove root sitting around... and I dunno what to do with it... goodness, I might just need to get another tank to put it in... -shifty eyes- I mean... no need to waste a perfectly good decoration, right? Am I right??

Okay, churn the sand every 8 weeks. But yeah, I'll probably do a bit of it each week when I do water changes. But at least it should be good while the tank is cycling and I'm not doing any water changes.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #45 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh send it to me!!! lmao, yes you could get another tank for it too!!

Yeah, it should be fine for that time
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #46 
Seki

Arghhhh I never realized how much my lights were heating my water. So it looks like my tank gets up around 82 during the day and it'll stay around 80 at night because that's what my heater is set at. Think the fluctuation is going to be bad for my girls? :/
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nah, 2 degree's is perfectly fine! Are you sure it's not just the summer weather? My tanks also raise during the day due to the hot weather up here and then fall to the 78 they are set at during the night. 2 degree's is nothing, when it gets up to 5 degree's or more, then it's a worry.