Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #1 
Viva

Filter for 30 gallon NPT sorority tank

So I have a Tetra Whisper PF10 (90 GPH) and a Marineland Emperor 400 (400 GPH). I feel the first one is too small for a 30 gallon tank and the 2nd is way too large. What do you guys think? It will be a soil based tank with a sand cap. Lots of plants and some driftwood. 10 - 15 females, 2 nerites, 10 trumpet snails and I may add my 4 Corydoras who are currently in a 10 gallon tank.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I'm a fan of the canister filters. They take up less room in the tank, easy to set up, easy to clean, great media for BB, easy to change out media, easy to adjust the output & so much quieter. I have one on my 46g & absolutely love it. I have the Fluval 306. I found mine online for much less than any local store. The canister is kind of large but I have a cabinet it sits in under the tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

With enough plants you won't need a filter at all. But it's nice to have one for flow and to provide some bacterial backup. The small one ought to be good enough for that. Don't you think?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #4 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
With enough plants you won't need a filter at all. But it's nice to have one for flow and to provide some bacterial backup. The small one ought to be good enough for that. Don't you think?

Yes I was thinking that it would be good enough but I just wanted to get people's opinions. Really unsure about what I'm going to do lol. I don't really want to spend more money on a filter when I have two at home. I think I will try the smaller PF10 and see how it does. I also plan on putting an aeration stone in there to help stir the water up a little more. But then I saw another thread and someone was advised to get a filter that is TWICE the gallons you are getting it for...i.e. for a 20 gallon tank you would get a filter that would be for a 40 gallon tank. But since I am using plants I really don't know now.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think if the filter you have works then I'd use it. Its more about the gph & since you're going to have Bettas that one should be fine. Bettas aren't super messy fish. You'll test your water & you'll know if its not good enough. The plants are going to help quite a bit. 90 gph is 3x the size of your tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 
Viva

Ah I see, thanks shellieca. I was getting too confused -_- I'll definitely be testing the water a lot. I can't risk my bettas getting sick...it would be an expensive loss.