Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #1 
Dwarden3

Do any of the big chain pet stores take fry?

Before I start breeding bettas, I was wondering if the big chain pet stores take fry. I would rather not cull a bunch of fry that I don't need, but I don't mind doing if need be. I would much prefer selling/giving them away. I would not ship them because that is too much money for fish that would not sell.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Probably not, especially fry's. How do you know the fish won't sell, or people won't take them paying only for shipping? However, if you know that much, then probably not a good idea for you to breed what you have. If you are breeding solely for yourself, then don't let the bettas breed to heavily. Stop them after a few embrace. Good luck my friend.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #3 
Dwarden3

I just know that the demand for not grade A bettas is very low if I was selling online. I would try to sell to local people, but there are so many bettas in a single spawn, and so few people in my area. :P I never thought about cutting off their breed time. Thanks for that advice!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #4 
Dwarden3

I was also thinking about breeding bettas that are not betta splendens for conservation purposes. I would hope betta clubs/ aquariums would take rarer species. I'd do it for free.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #5 
Myates

Most chain stores will not take fish from breeders as they have contracts with the wholesellers, along with insurance with them, etc.

Local fish stores that are sold and ran by individuals may if they don't have a good supplier.

You would be surprised at what people will want.. if they like the fish then it doesn't matter how good they are (healthy is the main importance).

These fish came from a mix spawn of mine - wasn't expecting much from them and ended up with these guys. Not what you term as "grade A", but I sold them all within 24 hrs for $10 each.. they are prettier in life though, but with the bad quality pictures and them being so young and not fully developed they still sold.
So don't think you won't/can't sell the fish.. it's possible :)

As for conservation purposes then you would want to look for groups who do work to save the different betta species that are becoming extinct in the wild due to being over caught. You don't really give them to pet stores, but there are groups that ask for you to give them half the spawn to help other breeders out, and you can sell the other half, etc. Similar to this system which I support.

But yeah, expect to have a lot of bettas hanging around while you sell them.. sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes a bit. You can also look to see if you have a wholeseller close by to take the fish you can't sell. I was lucky and found one about 30 minutes from me - he takes 50% of the profits from selling the fish to stores/individuals, but it's at least something rather than culling or giving out for free (which most LFS will take the fish for free or store trade).

This, sadly, is why a lot of breeders will only keep the best of the best - as unless you have a source, it can be difficult to rehome many bettas.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #6 
Dwarden3

Thanks for the info. I am very interested in breeding both Betta splendens, and also breeding Betta macrostoma. I would be interested in breeding one of the more endangered species of Betta if there is more of a demand for them. How do I get involved with the species complex program?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Nope. They won't accept any fish they have contracts with suppliers for. Now, if you have a fish they don't have a supplier for they will consider it-say if you were breeding giants. Now, Petco sells giants (they call them kings) and I have bough a few. They are giants. Both that I bought were easily 3".
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #8 
Fishy Mom

Do you have any privately owned pet stores in your area? The privately owned stores around here take better care of their bettas & the owners are usually around to talk to when I go in. You might want to try that.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Have you ever thought about joining the IBC? You can learn a lot from other breeders. They can also give you good info about wilds and the preservation of wilds.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote