Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 
The African

Cool Right out of Africa

Hi all!

I live in south Africa, kept all sorts of fish for years. had my last betta 3 years ago though and I miss their faces too much to not jump back in. finally getting things up and running again but the selection we have down here is truly terrible, like wallmart half dead terrible. Any local breeders that are lucky enough to have females refuses to sell them so that they can keep the sole supply to the pet shops, if you can even find a breeder. so i'm going to try importing some pairs, breeding and manipulating the market here to introduce the country to true local bread well priced stock so people can start appreciating these great lil guys. A halfmoon costs us $35 for a plain one here cause they're all imports. don't know what you guys get them for up there? Rambling almost over

to conclude if anyone knows anything about how to get a betta imported to SA or can do it please let me know. looking forward to re-learning breeding and sorority tanks from A-Z again and start producing quality fish again.

Oh! and i'm white. people get confused with us Africans some times

look forward to chatting!
The African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about importing so someone else will have go fill you in on that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #3 
The African

thanks

thanks a ton! looking forward to expanding my knowledge on the betta side of the hobby
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

Good luck on your quest!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #5 
The African

thank you

trying to dig up my old plans for a display drip system that is going to look great with some tweaks. gonna take a while but i'll post when everything is ready to get going
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 
Seki

Hello and welcome!! I love the diversity we have here on this forum~ So many different countries are represented in our members!

Wow, $35 for a halfmoon male is a LOT! At my LFS they sell for approx. $10-12, and I even think those are a bit overpriced. A plain veiltail? You can get one for $1-2. and females get ignored, sadly, because they are smaller and don't have the long, pretty fins the males have. A lot of members on here have sororities, though, myself included, so we love the females just as much as the males!

Good luck on your breeding venture! We have some really top-notch breeders on this site who can help you out. And if you're looking for a nice pair, I'm sure you can contact one of them to help you get one.

Best of luck with everything!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #7 
The African

I would love to get in some pairs, 5 or 6. just trying to figure out all the importing red tape that I have to deal with down here. getting permits and all that kind of annoying stuff. this country is so disorganised it is unbelievable. but here's hoping all goes well
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #8 
Silverbeam

Yay! Welcome to the forum! (✌゚∀゚)
Silverbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #9 
The African

thanks so much I have to say this is the warmest welcome I've ever had in a forum. really looking forward to helping out where I can and begging for help where needed lol