Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #1 
Magdalaine

And Shiny makes three...

So I officially have been bitten by the betta bug. I went to Petsmart to get filters and fish food... and came back with a new girl. So now between my two males; Fishstick and Button and my new girl Shiny, I have three bettas taking up my desk.

I only intended to look at the bettas, but after I was getting Chinese take away last night and saw the saddest little betta in a *filthy* tank with a goldfish... I just had to rescue one little betta. So now I have Shiny! She's mostly white with some redish/purplish color around her gills and little freckles of blue on her back. Her fins are mottled with red, blue and white patches. I still can't believe how tiny she is compared to Fishstick and Button (especially Fishstick). I'm also not certain if she's a Crowntail... she might be a Combtail... anyone know how to tell the difference?

Also, after hearing all the horror stories about chains like Petco and Petsmart, I was pretty proud of how the bettas were fairly well kept. They could have done with a little more space and light and a few needed some water changes... but there weren't any that were dead or visibly sick. What did get me annoyed though was that there were these two huge boxes labeled "Live bettas" that were lying unopened next to all the other bettas... someone started unpacking them before I said anything though, which calmed me down enormously!

So yeah!
Welcome home Shiny!
Magdalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Good for you!! Yeah, my petsmart takes AWESOME care of the bettas. Petco.... Eh, not so much. :( I saw a dead one the other day. :(((
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I see a dead one every once in awhile at my Petsmart.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #4 
Jupiter

The Petsmarts I've been to seem good. The Bettas are kept in bigger cups than I normally see, though there's the occasional sick guy. No dead ones, though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #5 
5green

i see like 5 dead ones one i saw 12 AT PETCO THE AQUARIUM GUY GOT YELLED AT =D
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Mine are like the opposite of you all. Petco is better than petsmart. The people there also notice if you are getting a betta and "try" to help you take as best care of them. Like when I went to get Rowan, the man there told me that they are best kept in 5 gallons, but if I took care of them they would be okay in a 1-2 gallon. I live in a small town so I have to drive 15 minutes the the nearest Petco/Petsmart, but I've noticed that going into a big city about 40 minutes away that the bettas there are much better kept. They always have clean, clear water, don't look under/overfed and seem happy and healthy! To me that is worth the extra 25 minutes drive. Plus when I got my lone zebra danio his friend, the lady there asked about my tank setup!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #7 
EricRgar

petco for the win >:O
EricRgar is offline   Reply With Quote