Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #11 
asears86

Thank you! I will get strips and test PH tomorrow just to be sure. I also removed plastic plants and will replace with silk when i am at petstore tomorrow night.

For the Intake - should I do a mesh style lining on the back of the vents, so it is not seen or not directly in his tank?
asears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #12 
Haleigh

I'm not quite sure how others cover their intakes. I personally cover mine with a stocking. It also works well as a baffle. The downside of that is that it does hinder the filtration process a bit and requires weekly cleaning. Still, it's worth not letting my new betta, Catullus, get hurt.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #13 
asears86

Would you cover on the back of the vents in my case or the front which is where Norman is? Thank you very much. You are all very helpful.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #14 
redcharizard

keep an eye on the hammock it can rust
mine did had to throw it out today
good luck with his fins
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #15 
Haleigh

You just need to cover any place where he could get sucked in. If part of the filter is not in the water, and therefore is inaccessible to Norman, it does not need to be covered.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #16 
asears86

Thank you everyone very much.. I will check all these things tonight after work and get the salt in. He loves his hammock so I really hope that is not it. Will keep an eye on it all. Thanks for your time on this issue everyone. Very much appreciated.

Amanda
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #17 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by asears86 View Post
Thank you everyone very much.. I will check all these things tonight after work and get the salt in. He loves his hammock so I really hope that is not it. Will keep an eye on it all. Thanks for your time on this issue everyone. Very much appreciated.

Amanda
i didnt want to do the work so i just got rid of them since my bettas hangout more in other parts of the tank but you can remove the wire from the hammock
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #18 
asears86

Good idea. I just called our huge aquatic store here and spoke to the man who made it seem absurd that I was asking if they carried something to cover the intake. I told him it was either that or one of the plastic plants that did this most likely, and he said "ive had them for 30 years with betta's!"

Seriosuly? Sorry that was really frustrating that he immediately made both ideas seem like they were not realistic. Than he advised not to use silk plants because they break down in one year. Uh, won't be listening to him on that as I will be able to buy new silk plants once a year if need be. Why did he rule out those things doing that to the fin.. made me confused and very frustrating. Sorry for venting, thank you all.

Amanda
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #19 
darkangel

You can always buy your silk plant from walmart, I bought a pack of 3 for $10. Or you can order it from ebay.

To cover your intake, the easiest way is really just to take an old aquarium net, rip off the mesh, wrap around the intake and secure it with a rubberband. Or you can even go to walmart to buy a cheap fish net. Its like $2.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #20 
asears86

okay thank you. I am wondering if there is a chance this could be tail biting??

Tags
fin damage, fin rot, fin shredding, fin tearing