Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 
Lights106

Question What size tank should I get for a partially blind/maybe soon blind fish?

This weekend I adopted a new guy. Some of you all have helped me named him Data :D But I am wanting to get him his own tank. Currently he's in a divided 10 gall. I am wondering what size I should get him. He seems to like his aprox 4 gallons he has now, but not sure if he would be fine in his own 5 gal or would do better in something smaller. Right now he seems to be just partially blind. But I worry if he becomes fully. What are all your opinions?
Attached Images

Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
redcharizard

how can you tell he's going blind and what have you observed about him in big spaces?
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I think one of my guys may be blind as well. He is a big boy and he has a longer then normal tail which makes him look even bigger so I have him in a 5 gallon by himself. I have seen him swim into the side of the tank a few times head first. Plus he dosent get all excited about food like all the others. it takes him a while to find it
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #4 
Lights106

If you look at the picture his eyes are cloudy. He doesn't react to things like my other bettas, like fast and sudden movements, he takes a while to find his food, although he is learning that when I tap on the water, that its food time, he most of the time doesn't notice that he's in a divided tank. When he does notice, he doesn't flare, just chases. He doesn't swim up to me and tries to be social like my other guys. I know he is not fully blind now, because he does flare at me when he does notice me. When I first got him he did find his food, but took a while.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 
Lights106

Although I'm thinking I should keep him in a divided tank so the shadows of the other fish can provide entertainment. Or maybe I should put him in a med size community tank with very peaceful fish or conpanions. Some sort of entertainment.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm.. A wide and shallow tank seems to be best for partly blind bettas. Dragonscales usually develop scales over their eyes when they're maturing. IMO, I think other fish would stress him out, since he might not know whether they're predators or not. He sure is a beauty, though. (:

I suggest a 2-5 gallon tank. Make it as shallow as possible and more width to it than height. You might also want to try dark colored decorations and maybe some live plants so you won't surprise him. It's up to you, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

If he seems happy where he is now, I would leave him there. I agree to not put him in a community tank where he wouldn't know if the others were predators.

He's a real beauty.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 
Lights106

Thank you! This spot is a temp spot. I am needing to give my baby Zorro more space. I was thinking last night that I would do a black sand and castle theme with plants. Do you have specific tank suggestions? I have been eyeing a Petco brand 6.6 gal bookshelf tank that I long and shallow, but the filter has had bad reviews with it. I am not wanting to pay $40 for a small tank an still have to replace the filter.

Tags
blind, tank size