Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #21 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5green View Post
well why dont you tell vikki what you told me or mrvampire how do you know that i havent planned or reasearched
ya you don't know her personly
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #22 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5green View Post
well why dont you tell vikki what you told me or mrvampire how do you know that i havent planned or reasearched
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking to andakin.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #23 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Its not like you can just throw them together and hope for the best. Things can happen if you aren't careful and things can even happen that you are totally unprepared for when you ARE careful and know what you are doing. You have to put a lot of preparation into it. You can't just throw them together just because your male has a huge bubblenest and your female is full of eggs. You have to have the appropriate food ready for the fry as soon as they are free swimming.You can't just say, "oh, my fry are free swimming now, what do I feed them"?You have to figure out what to do with all the babies and have jars to put them in when they get old enough to separate. You have to plan things out days in advance before you put your pair together.
ya ya ya, we all know that you can't just throw the two in there (kind of *dugh* answer) and i think she espeualy dose too. we pobably all have and will do resurch about betta breading and it almost always says somthing about that.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #24 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy656 View Post
ya ya ya, we all know that you can't just throw the two in there (kind of *dugh* answer) and i think she espeualy dose too. we pobably all have and will do resurch about betta breading and it almost always says somthing about that.
p.s.
If you think this was a rude coment i'm not trying to be just stating the thing we all seam to know but none of us rember.

(pleas no rude coments)
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't say that to be mean. Look what happened with Vikki's first attempt. She was well prepared and she ended up losing her female. You can never do too much research.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #26 
WildBlue

I know nothing about breeding bettas. I just bought my very first one! My concern would be outcome of the babies. I'm sure a lot of people have thought about breeding and then selling them but I imagine you cannot just walk into any pet store and say "Wanna buy some Bettas?". Most places have accounts already set up with reputable breeders (I hope reputable!) What if you can't sell them? How many fry will be produced in one hatching? 10, 100, 1000? Even if it's only 10, what are you going to do with all those fish? Especially if you can't sell them. Is it worth taking the change of loosing one of your breeder fish to have babies? I know everyone needs to start somewhere but this is the same as what they call "backyard" breeding with horses, dogs and cats. Breeding with no regard for genetics, health or what kind of home the offspring will go to. I imagine a mature and responsible person would ask themselves why they intend on breeding. To improve the line/colors? To make a profit? Or "just for the fun of it to see what happens"? (The later being the least respected of all choices.) I am not coming down on anyone but I think the decision to breed should go beyond just equipment set-up and risk to the breeder fish.
WildBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #27 
CodeRed

Well said, WildBlue.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #28 
andakin

these are two different arguments.

you are talking about the ethical issues of breeding and what to do with the offspring. i agree 100% that people should not breed irresponsibly. i cant speak for everyone but i am breeding as a hobbyist with zero interest in profit. what i cant give away, i cull.

i am defending the fact that he has the right to breed. we have no idea what his intentions are because no one bothered to ask. he was attacked right away for throwing the idea of wanting to breed.

Last edited by andakin; 09-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.
andakin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #29 
loppy656

you said cull do you mean kill?i hope not
or colect?

Last edited by loppy656; 09-08-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #30 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
these are two different arguments.

you are talking about the ethical issues of breeding and what to do with the offspring. i agree 100% that people should not breed irresponsibly. i cant speak for everyone but i am breeding as a hobbyist with zero interest in profit. what i cant give away, i cull.

i am defending the fact that he has the right to breed. we have no idea what his intentions are because no one bothered to ask. he was attacked right away for throwing the idea of wanting to breed.
thanks from:5green & loppy656