Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Very Unusual Behaviour, New Tank, Help!

Two days ago I set up a new tank for Tiny Tina and put her in it. I had seeded it a week prior with substrate and water from her old tank to build a bacterial community for it and fed the bacteria ammonia daily. I did a 100% water change and emptied the toxic, nitrite and nitrate rich water from the seeding out prior to placing her in it. I then siphoned 2 gallons of her old tank water into the new tank to help acclimatize her to the new chemistry and tank and filled the rest of the new tank with aged and tannin stained water. I acclimatized her to her new tank for just about an hour, eyedropping new tank water into her floating cup every 10 minutes or so. Her old tank was a 5.5 gallon unfiltered, heated tank. Her new tank is 6.6 gallons, has a built in filter and is heated. I would turn the filter off if I could, but the LED light is built into the filter, and I cannot lose one without the other. The current does not appear to bother her, she is a strong swimmer and is not buffeted by it.

Her PH is 7 - 7.5, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all at safe levels, her temperature is at 27-28 degrees celsius. She normally is excitable, surfing all the time on the glass and very explorative, always excited when I come up to see her. I woke up today to find that her dorsal fin and ventral fins are very clamped, and she's spending a lot of her time hiding. She never used to go in a decorative resin pot before, and now she doesn't come out except for air. When she does come out, she darts, and does not surf. She also flared at her reflection when I shined a flashlight on her, which she has never done before.

Her scales appear to be flush to her body, but I cannot get a very good look at her and I certainly cannot photograph her. She does not appear to have any ragged fins, no fungus appears to be growing on fins, scales, gills, or lips. Her eyes are normal. Her colour isn't washed out. She ate when I fed her. But she appears listless. I am very worried that if I don't spot something soon she may worsen and I'll never be wiser as to what caused it.

Anyone with any opinions on this matter, please let me know. I wish I had more information, but I simply cannot offer anything at this time.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you turned off the filter just out of curiousity? I know you said she appears fine but its possible because its something very different for her she doesn't like it. Also, I have one male who doesn't like the LED lighting on his 5g tank so I leave the light off except on very rare occasions. I know your lights & filters go hand in hand, you can turn off the light without turning off the filter right? I would start with those two things.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I've turned the filter and light off. But she's clamped, and isn't acting well at all. My female betta that died of dropsy in april hated filters, but she was a weak swimmer with a bent spine, and threw herself into the current and was unable to fight it. Tina is the opposite.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

setting up an iso tank. hoping it'll help me determine whats ailing her.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I've got her acclimatizing in a small 1.5 gallon ISO. I'm uncertain whether a single white, dusty scale is a signal of fungus or ich. Other than that, besides her bloaty tummy which appears to be full of eggs (because a poop in her cup is brown and coiled and not white and slimy, so its not internal parasites), nothing appears to be physically wrong with her. Is this her way of coping with a tank change? She never did this when I moved her from a 1.5 gallon when I got her to a 5.5.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its possible. I swapped my males around, one of them did NOT like the change at first. I seriously thought he had "broken" one of his pectorals because he would not use it for hours, he stayed in one spot for long periods of time then by the next day all was good. He does not like it if I even re-arrange his tank, during water changes he hides inside his cave. Bottom line, they can do some funny stuff when they pout.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

I have some betta who get major stressed out when moved to a new tank. Others could care less. All my girls look bloaty because they get very eggy. jmho but I think she is having the relocation jitters because nothing in your care pattern is off the mark.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #8 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Yeah. She was fine and really explorative at first, and then we were gone last night, came back this afternoon and she was just hiding, her colour had faded, and she's darting around.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
I have some betta who get major stressed out when moved to a new tank. Others could care less. All my girls look bloaty because they get very eggy. jmho but I think she is having the relocation jitters because nothing in your care pattern is off the mark.
We moved her into different tanks and she was fine until this tall one. And she was fine for the first 2 days, all happy and Tina-ish, but we came home this afternoon and she was like this.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Hmm I don't like it when their color fades. The water in Calgary is somewhat different this week due to the floods. Its very high in organic compounds right now but im not sure that would be a problem. I do think the city upped the chlorine levels so I have doubled the amount of Prime to 4 drops per gallon. Could you reset her old tank up until the cause is determined? Maybe décor or something contaminating that would not appear on your water tests.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote