Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #31 
loppy656

btw wheres Ontario?
btw 5green is a girl.

Last edited by loppy656; 09-08-2009 at 11:41 PM.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #32 
andakin

ontario is in canada.

and yes, culling means killing. i have no intentions of keeping 50+ fish if they all survive. people here are gonna hate me but its a common practice. this subject deserves a thread to itself which i will probably make when the babies get big enough.

edit: sorry, i had no idea that the original poster was a girl. forgive me.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, culling is definitely a contraversial subject.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #34 
Vikki81207

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I didn't say that to be mean. Look what happened with Vikki's first attempt. She was well prepared and she ended up losing her female. You can never do too much research.
I'm glad I could be used as an example. I dont' know why everyone has to argue. The point is :MAKE SURE YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH RESEARCH! I'm not trying to sound mean, but yet I did all research I could, I knew everything pretty much. But I still lost my first girl Aqua and it was devastating. You need to be completely prepared. I know one mistake I've made with this batch is no filter & no microworms, just bbs. So I have to clean the top of the water alot more and be careful how I feed. Breeding betta fish is not an adventure, I mean it is, but in no ways is it easy. You could lose your female or male, you could lose all the fry, things could go horribly wrong and you need to be prepared, completely ready. I mean I had 50+ fry when they hatched then Merlin decided he wanted to munch some and now I have around 15. I'm not saying don't do it and I'm not saying to do it. But I was fully prepared and I knew everything but still, things went wrong both times. Just make sure you know what you're doing before you do it. If you love bettas like I do, it's a great experience but you could have a disaster on your hand. The fry need live food and need to be fed every 12 hours. In other words, you can't stay at peoples houses or go out without knowing you've fed the fry and that you'll feed them in time in the morning. If you don't, then you've got dead fry. They're like kids, but need more. Just please, know what you're doing. If you just up and decide "I think I'm going to breed today" you'll end up with a mistake.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #35 
Rohland

On a side note for Loppy.
Can you please use spell check before you post.
Because your English and spelling is horrible.
Thanks.

As for culling. Here is my opinion. People who cull have the opinion of its just a fish or its just fry. Lets say you have twins. And it seems that you are in a position where you cannot care for both of the babies, but you can probably care for one. Are you just going to throw the other baby in the dumpster. Obviously not. Why? Because its a human life, however a life is a life, and why should the life of a fish not deserve the same chance as a life of a child. We treat fish like they are our children anyways.
If you aren't in a position to take care of your child, you shouldn't have them. Well if you aren't in a position to breed for fish and take care of your babies, you shouldn't have them. Fish aren't responsible if they breed, YOU ARE! There is no such thing as birth control for fish, beside abstinence.

Rant is over.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #36 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohland View Post
On a side note for Loppy.
Can you please use spell check before you post.
Because your English and spelling is horrible.
Thanks.

As for culling. Here is my opinion. People who cull have the opinion of its just a fish or its just fry. Lets say you have twins. And it seems that you are in a position where you cannot care for both of the babies, but you can probably care for one. Are you just going to throw the other baby in the dumpster. Obviously not. Why? Because its a human life, however a life is a life, and why should the life of a fish not deserve the same chance as a life of a child. We treat fish like they are our children anyways.
If you aren't in a position to take care of your child, you shouldn't have them. Well if you aren't in a position to breed for fish and take care of your babies, you shouldn't have them. Fish aren't responsible if they breed, YOU ARE! There is no such thing as birth control for fish, beside abstinence.

Rant is over.
Agreed 100%!!!!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #37 
andakin

apples and oranges.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #38 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
apples and oranges.
There is no difference, unless you don't treat your animals like your family.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #39 
andakin

maybe the next time you step on an ant you should be thrown in jail for manslaughter.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #40 
Rohland

Your throwing away lives because YOU cannot take care of it.