Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Well...What do you think?

I was at petco today, and I looked at the NLS foods....It was a new batch and it looks like they have changed what the ingredients say....The ingredients now say this:

whole antarctic krill, whole herring, whole wheat flour, algae, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, fruit extracts, vegetable extracts, (and then all the vitamins)

It looks like they no longer list anything as "meal". So is it the same? Did they just leave out the word "meal" to short hand it? Are they still meals?

I don't know. What do you think? I don't know if I can trust them anymore, because if they aren't using meals anymore, then I don't know if those fish are really the first ingredients...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #2 
Laki

Is there a hotline number on their website?? I'm not sure the policy for pet food but if it's a "meal" product/ingredient then they need to state its a "meal" ingredient.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 
registereduser

I always think of "meal" meaning ground up with additives. "Whole" sounds like a better deal!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They've had those ingredients for a while now, I've had my NLS since January and it has those exact ingredients on it. And no I don't believe they are actually "meals" anymore
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

But guys...wouldn't this be a bad thing? Because ingredients are measured by their pre-cooked weight, we don't know if the meats are really the most abundant ingredient.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They need to list ingredients by content going by the most and then to the least, it would be...well illegal for them to do so otherwise basically. I wouldn't see why they would do that in which case because they are so very popular and probably very rich at this point.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
They need to list ingredients by content going by the most and then to the least, it would be...well illegal for them to do so otherwise basically. I wouldn't see why they would do that in which case because they are so very popular and probably very rich at this point.
Well, what pet food companies do, is weight everything before they cook it. So, the whole fish and algae still have the moisture in it. After it is cooked, about 80% of that weight is cooked out. That way, if a meal is listed, then you know that's the real amount, because there is no moisture to cook out of it.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

So, do you think this change makes the food better or worse?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm pretty sure it is listed from most to least by weight in the final product...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah gotcha, but still, when was the last time they had "meal" products in their food? not while I've been in the hobby obviously though.