Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #1 
LostxinthexMusic

Week-long vacation?

Hi, I'm going on vacation in about a week and a half, and I'll be away from home for a week, and I don't know what I should do with my male Betta. I have him in a 1-gal, filtered (very low-flow), heated, with a Betta leaf hammock, a small ceramic cave, and some java moss, and I change 50% of his water every 2-3 days. I typically feed him 4 Hikari Bio-Gold pellets morning and night. He currently has fin rot, which I'm treating with 2 tsp. Aq. salt. I'm going to be on the road for about 8 hours, so I'm disinclined to take him with me because of the stress of the trip and his home being taken down and set up twice in a week.

So, my two specific questions:
How do I keep his tank clean while I'm away?
What do I do about food?
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2 
PhantomoftheOpera

Do you have a friend or family member that could take care of him?
PhantomoftheOpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

You could get a vacation block or not feed at all. With the fin rot, I wouldn't feed. I go on vacation and leave strict orders not to feed my fish. I would think a 100% water change before you go and when you get back should be fine.

I don't have anyone knowledgeable about fish so it's safer that way. One of my daughters friends came to visit while I was at work and she fed my fish sooo much food. There was probably an entire teaspoon still floating at the top and my giant betta was laying on the bottom, on his side, very labored gill flapping, with a HUGE tummy. He was in bad shape for a few days from overeating and never recovered.

Maybe you could put some ammo chips in there just for a bit more protection.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #4 
ismintis

If you insist on feeding him while you're gone but don't trust someone to feed him the correct amount; I have two of these weekly pill boxes. I put four pellets in each separate box, and tell the person to open one of the boxes for each day and hide the rest of the food so they aren't tempted to feed him more. It works great for me at least! Here is a link of what it looks like: http://www.drugsupplystore.com/servl...l#.UcoGJCrn_VI
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

A week without food will be fine. Do 100% water change the day before you leave, and then one when you get home. It should be okay, especially since there is no food wast in the tank for that week.

Don't use the vacation feeders. They dirty up the water, and fish can binge on it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #6 
LostxinthexMusic

Thank you all so much! My whole family is going on vacation with me, and I don't have anyone experienced enough in fish care that I trust to take care of him, so I'll go with the 100% changes before and after. My only concern would be the buildup of his own waste... He's had problems with persistent fin rot before, and I don't want it to be a problem. Should Aq. salt be enough to keep it getting too bad while I'm gone?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Aquarium salt won't actually keep fin rot away. What it does is help the body shed the dead tissue. If he's had fin rot problems in the past, have you considered upgrading to a 2.5 g? It's not that much more space (in fact it might even take up about the same space as your 1 g depending on the shape). You could get one, bring it home and size it out. If it's too big, take it back and get your money back. But, if it's manageable it might help with the fin rot, as it is usually a result of water quality problems and that extra 1.5 g will help a little with that. It'll cut you down to two water changes a week to keeping parameters healthy. Also, you might consider getting a moss ball (or even two). That will help suck up some of the nitrates in your tank.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 
LostxinthexMusic

I have java moss in there already. I may look into a 2.5-gal, but he had more fin rot problems when he was in a 10-gal (it used to house my boyfriend's snake, but he moved her up to a 20-gal as she grew), so I moved him back to the 1-gal as that was the only other option I had (I'm a college student and resources are limited). I think the biggest problem is that I can't get the gravel clean because of the moss in there... I'll probably try to make a moss wall for his tank to get the moss off the bottom so I can keep his substrate cleaner. If that fails, I'll get a 2.5.