Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #11 
BakaMandy

Did you clean your tank with any chemicals? Cause if you did, you're not supposed to because it can kill them if you didn't rinse it properly. Anything from simple dish soap can be deadly.

What temperature is his container? Because betta fish become lethargic in cold water. Anything around 80 degrees Fahrenheit is good. Also, when you add new water, is it cold or warm? Use cold water and then warm it up to the proper temperature, because warmer water often takes off the gunk from the inside of the pipes. That's why we're told not to drink warm water, other than the fact warm water tastes gross.

And when you give salt baths, you have to make sure the temperature of the bath is the same temperature of the tank. Any sudden temperatures changes to the water are really bad for betta fish.

For the fin rot, identify it as either bacterial or fungal fin rot. Fungal fin rot will destroy the fin in a uniform manner and/or if there are fuzzy white things growing on him, while bacterial fin rot will attack the fin in random places. Use JFC if it's fungal fin rot, and I'd recommend Maracyn and Maracyn-two in combination if it's bacterial fin rot. If the fin rot gets really bad, I'd suggest you invest in ampicillin.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #12 
sumsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Did you clean your tank with any chemicals? Cause if you did, you're not supposed to because it can kill them if you didn't rinse it properly. Anything from simple dish soap can be deadly.
I always clean the tank with hot water to kill the germs then cold water to rise the tank. Fish are not intended to handle cleaners scence there are no cleaners in ponds in Thiland.=)
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #13 
AlexXx

No chemicals ever. Just hot water! Hes not longer as lethargic as he was, but his fins are still deteriorating. I put him in a pitcher of JFC, and when i got back from school it was cloudy as heck with debris all in it. I changed his water, and put a new JFC treatment in and hes doing alright i guess, just still loosing his fins :( He doesnt much much personality compared to my other fish. Doesnt get excited when i come to the pitcher, or even eat at all yet :/

I hope this treatment works.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #14 
AlexXx

Well he just ate for the first time! Thats a good sign i guess.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, its a good sign.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote