Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
ShyMyles

Hello From Andi & Myles, my sweet new friend

Hi there, everyone.
Myles and I live in Connecticut and we're a new family as of yesterday.

I did three weeks of research on Bettas and their care and after pleading with my roommate (who owns the condo we live in), he agreed to let me share our space with a Betta.

I have Myles in a lovely 1 gallon tank all set up for his comfort. Heater,
ceramic log for hiding, a flowy plastic plant and a leaf hammock. I conditioned the water and heated it up properly for his arrival and blended the water before welcoming him into his new home and getting to know him.

Myles is a double-tail with scales of iridescent turquoise and cherry red, with gorgeous fins that go from deep scarlet near his body and fan out to clear, with turquoise and deep indigo ombre coloring in stripes and at his fin tips. He is certainly gorgeous.
However, he's not much of a fighter ~ more of a peaceful, shy little guy, thus his username.
But today, his first full day with me, has been wonderful. He's becoming more inquisitive and swims up and down and back and forth with his little wiggle. He LOVES his hide-y log and swims in and out or just rests in it. He adores his plant, too, and twice already I've caught him completely upside down in the middle of it, fully fanned out, napping! So incredibly cute. The leaf hammock doesn't seem to do it for him, yet.

Just now I took a pen with a black tip and slowly ran it on the outside of his bowl and he followed it all the way around. This is great progress, as yesterday he was very skittish and shy of me. Now he seems more used to me and doesn't swim away when I near the bowl. I have his bowl in the kitchen for now, so he feels more included.

Myles ate four pellets this morning and I did a gentle 50% water change for him this afternoon, as I noticed the water getting slightly cloudy and I know that smaller bowls need more changing. The heater is working well and I'm closely monitoring the water temp and have a thermometer on the way that I just ordered online. I will visit the petstore for other feeding choices for him.

Believe me, I would very much love to get him into a bigger tank but I'm not sure my room mate will accept that. I'm bonding with Myles already
and want the best for him, but as of now, he seems happy and content.
Earlier this afternoon he was zooming around his bowl in what appeared to be sheer joy.
(I'm going to wait to champion for a bigger home for him....I'm already searching online for some good ones. )

No bubble nests as of yet, but he does swim around and blow single bubbles all the time. I'm already longing for him to make a bubble nest.
He is very shy, so maybe that's too demonstrative for him.

Just wanted to thank all of you here who take the time to inform others about these wonderful fish. I adore Myles and feel good knowing there is a place to come to with questions where I won't be laughed at or ridiculed.

Thank you and hello again from Andi & Myles the shy Betta.
ShyMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 
rubinthebetta

Welcome to the forum! Myles sounds awesome, and you're doing really good as far as care. I hope you enjoy your stay here!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #3 
Schnuffles

Myles has a dedicated and caring owner. :)
Schnuffles is offline   Reply With Quote