Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #11 
Seki

My current five ladies have lived together at the store in a female betta tank, so I'm not worried about them spreading disease to each other. I don't even think they are ill, but the tank isn't cycled, so they're floating in cups at the moment. I think at least one of them is still very young... she has the "baby" look about her still, even though she is a lovely vibrant yellow color.

While the tank is cycling, I was thinking of dumping the dirty water from their cups into it when I change their cups. I was thinking the ammonia they produce might help the cycle? Or should I just get rid of it like I do with all other dirty water?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Dirty tank water contains more than just ammonia (dissolved and not-so-dissolved solids, chemicals and toxins) and not enough bacteria to be worth the effort.

If you need to cycle that 10g fast, you can try Tetra Safestart.

(I think that's what I'd do.)

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-24-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #13 
Seki

I don't mind the extra work of changing the girls' cups daily. I have never used cycling chemicals before, but I have read in several places to be wary of them.

I definitely won't be putting the dirty water into the tank to help it cycle, then. Thanks for the heads-up. I might look into the chemicals, but... like I said, I've never used them before. Has anyone used them successfully? Or should I let the tank cycle by itself with the seeded gravel?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I don't think keeping them sitting in those cups for weeks is going to endear you to them.

You need a large bacteria base for your sorority so you can stock it all at once. So you'll probably want to fishless cycle the 10g anyway. Order Dr Tim's One-and-Only (shipped fresh and insulated) or some or some fresh TSS. Get some pure ammonia. Cycle it to handle >3.0ppm ammonia. Many of the experienced keepers on TFK are starting to recommend that. Live bacteria in a bottle has really come a long way in the past few years. There are lots of recommendations from Betta keepers right here. (I wish I'd have kept better track.)

I'm sorry, Seki, I think I'm losing track. Are you planning on heavily planting that tank? That'll make a big difference.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #15 
Seki

Let me outline my tank again for you. And for the record, I have purchased Tetra Safe Start, but being leery of it, I haven't added it in yet.

I have a ten gallon tank with an Aqueon Quietflow20 filter. I have driftwood and two live plants, the rest silk (I am a brown thumb and didn't want to take the chance of upsetting everything in the tank if all the plants died). I have had seeded gravel from my established 5 gallon in the tank for a week. My ammonia is currently at .25ppm and Nitrites and Nitrates are both still at 0. I check daily with a liquid testing kit.

At the moment I have five girls floating in cups in the tank to keep them at a steady temperature. I change their water every other day and have been conditioning them with Stress Coat to help heal their damaged fins from the community tank at the LFS, but they have all been living together there, so really... the quarantine is for the tank to be ready, not for the girls.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

OK Gotcha. I'm told stocking sorority members all at once is the right thing to do. In order to do this safely, you'll need to be able to process more than 0.25ppm ammonia/day---especially if you're not going to be growing any or many live plants. (A live Anubias is the best silk plant I know because it's live and pretty; floating, it provides shade and hides; and it's as foolproof as a mossball ;-}

This is just a reminder. I know you know as much as I do about this stuff.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #17 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
OK Gotcha. I'm told stocking sorority members all at once is the right thing to do. In order to do this safely, you'll need to be able to process more than 0.25ppm ammonia/day---especially if you're not going to be growing any or many live plants. (A live Anubias is the best silk plant I know because it's live and pretty; floating, it provides shade and hides; and it's as foolproof as a mossball ;-}

This is just a reminder. I know you know as much as I do about this stuff.
Lol hardly!! That's why I keep asking for help! Still getting readings of 0 for both nitrite and nitrate as of yesterday. Should I just dose with the safe start? Or am I being impatient? Lol
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If your fish were still in the store tank, I'd say take your time. But I'm not one to keep fish in cups, no matter how often the water is changed. That's just me. A good argument could be made for keeping them in the cups.

Your 10g will cycle quickest using TSS and ~3.0ppm ammonia in a fishless cycle.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Whether you use TSS or seeded media, here are some quick tips for quick cycling:

---Put as much seeded media and/or substrate as you can into your filter.
---Filter on high
---Temperature >82*
---Keep it dark
---If your pH is <7.5, put a pinch of salt into the filter.

Keep us apprised of your progress.