Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #41 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol. That sounds good. Be very careful while acclimating her... Very, very careful.

The additives sound good. I have heard of using tea but I never have and wouldn't if you already have ial.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #42 
logisticsguy

You are awesome xnoodle! That is a classic photo. Wow. Fish owner of the month
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #43 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

We will be as careful as humanly possible, I assure you.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #44 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
You are awesome xnoodle! That is a classic photo. Wow. Fish owner of the month
Thanks man. I really hope she pulls through... -.-;
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #45 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm sure she will. You go above and beyond and are doing everything you can.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #46 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I hope so... Her iso tank has no cycle, obviously, so we have to keep a close eye on her water parameters every day and probably do 25% changes every day just to make sure...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #47 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

So I'm curious if anyone thinks that a single white scale on Tina's side could be columnaris? She's been stressed as heck, and it would sure be the sort of ******* bacteria that would come in with poisoned water and cling to her.

Anywho, its tiny, very small, impossible to capture with my cheap crappy camera. But I'm terrified that if I don't start trying to kill it now, then it'll be impossible to beat once it becomes a lesion, or something worse. I have Seachem Kanaplex, is that a gram negative medication? And when I am told that columnaris hates aquarium salt, you do mean freshwater aquarium salt and not epsom salt, correct?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #48 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think kanaplex is broad spectrum and will treat columnaris. Be cautious with antibiotics... You don't want to use them unless you have to. Also, be careful with how many chemicals you are adding at a time... Too much stresses out the kidneys. If you think it is cloumnaris... Add either salt or kanaplex but not both... I believe Epsom salts can be combined with meds though.

The salt that helps columnaris is aq salt.

I think this was initially the stress from the move and the water that is now manifesting itself in her existing symptoms.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-26-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #49 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Yeah that's what I'm worried about... Her kidneys are probably already stressed out by the toxic city water. I have her in spring water with stress coat, nutrafin aqua plus, and epsom salts and her gills seem less inflamed but there is definitely something white and potentially fuzzy on her. And I'm not sure if its due to clamping or not, but her dorsal fin appears to be exhibiting the "saddleback" shape.

I'm just looking for some advice. I've actually never had to combat columnaris ever before, and the only reason she's probably got it now is that rancid flood water. Given her current condition, would it be wise to treat for columnaris while it's weak and small, but potentially put her kidneys at risk? Or would it be wiser to wait until I am without a shadow of a doubt certain that it is columnaris and treat it when her body has recovered from the contaminated water?

For the record, she was acting off today before I put her in the nasty water... there has got to be a reason for that.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #50 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Columnaris usually fluffy in appearance, it's not just a change in scale color. I've come across the change in scale color multiple times and it hasn't seen a cure thus far but it doesn't effect them, it usually effects the scales right around the top of the dorsal and then will turn the first few rays/mebrane of the dorsal white along with it, this would be the third one I've seen happen over the last two months and I've not no idea what it is but salt did nothing for it and nor did KanaPlex or General Cure, but it never effected the fish and the fin didn't fall off or anything.

So that said, I would leave all the antibiotics and salt out of the water for now, keep an eye on the patch to see what happens but if it's purely discoloration and nothing raised on it, slimy or bumpy or fluffy then I wouldn't worry. What you need to focus on is just the water quality and keeping her in good clean water until she feels better and she can start fighting off whatever it is.

By the way, that picture is totally awesome, you definitely get fish keeper of the year!! haha I hope everything works out though!

And yes if you have IAL, use that instead of the green tea, it does the same thing but there's no point in using it if you already have IAL. And the green tea also must be pure 100% decaffeinated green tea.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote