Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #11 
xShainax

I think she is going to be 59 Friday
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #12 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Yeah, and sometimes the effect can scar a kid's mind for life. This makes me SO MAD!

I call it mental/emotional abuse
I wouldn't call it abuse. It is kind of crazy and wrong to teach a child that a betta's life is worth less than that of a human, but that is only anthropocentric logic, and most people believe in anthropocentrism. It would be more effective if the mother said she would take away the fish. This doesn't devalue life, while also having an impact.

Nonetheless, it is not abuse, just kinda harsh, and you should clean your room.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #13 
BittyB

That's a bit effed. I don't think it's cool to use threats. It really damaged my relationships. On the other side, I know you say it is clean, but could you put the effort to maybe make it extra clean? It sucks being young sometimes, but that is how I tried to somewhat avoid my stepdads horrible ways of threatening and nitpicking when he had nothing to really get at. Now as a adult, I do what a want.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #14 
alwaysaBettaLover

Yeah, my mom sometimes threatens to give my bettas New homes when I don't do what I'm supposed to do. Lol I always make sure to what I'm told. Don't worry though, 95% of the time it's just to get you do whatever they tell you to.

I always feel so bad when my mom says : "if you don't do ______ then Sparkey gets a new home." Oh man, I get so mad.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #15 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I think she is going to be 59 Friday
Yeah, menopause makes some of us do and say crazy things for awhile, beware! She might be hormone driven in her interactions with family. Give her some slack. Since Friday is her birthday, love her up and make her cry tears of joy instead of tears of frustration and confusion

I'm just guessing about the meno but I would hope your Mom would not normally be so cruel to you
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #16 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post

I always feel so bad when my mom says : "if you don't do ______ then Sparkey gets a new home." Oh man, I get so mad.
That's just sick.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

I think threatening to give away a pet is different than threatening to kill one. My mom did that (threatened to give away) a lot growing up, and once she did sell one of my horses. She said if I didn't work him everyday she'd sell him. Well, my friend ran me over with my go-kart and took all the skin off my shin from my knee to my ankle down to the bone (it was nasty, but not as painful as it sounds). After a couple weeks of not working him (because I couldn't ride him because my shin was so messed up) she sold him. I'm not gunna lie, I am still bitter about nearing 20 years later. But, at the same time I could've probably lunged him to keep him working. So, there is some blame on my part. Anyway, it upset me and I'm bitter about it, but if she'd have killed my horse that would've been an emotional scar that would've been beyond horrifying.

I'm sorry your mom threatened to flush your bettas. At 59, I would think she would be through menopausal swings. My moms 10 years younger though, so I'm not sure. Good luck with your situation.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #18 
SnowySurface

I don't have kids or anything, but I seriously doubt I would threatened to kill a pet to get x, y, or z chore done. I don't think there is any errand or chore worth more than a life. However, if I had a kid who couldn't juggle pet care, chores, and school I would think about re-housing the pet so my kid could have a better life-work balance. So i think I would say something along the lines of, "It seems like you can't handle the responsiblity of a pet, school, and chores. Either budget your time better or the pet needs a new home."

I can see a parent re-homing a pet if a kid really is overwhelmed by all the responsibilty or simply stopped caring for the pet because he/she stopped being responsible. A pet can't be homed improperly because the kid who was ignoring the pet while it was here will be sad once it's gone to a better home. But threatening to kill a pet over a dirty room? That boggles my mind. o.O
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

A cousin of mine threatened to flush her daughter's betta but I was asked to take him and I did.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #20 
sassyfriend

Told i should stop grieving cause betta(s) died

Well mom also threatened to kill my bettas by flashing them down the toilet just because I was grieving my betta who died. Felt so hurt and angry I just wanted to punch her out!!!!! :BIGshame :OMG you don't threaten someone like that ever mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote