Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1 
Ange1seyes

Introduction

Hi All! I have come back to owning a betta after several years of not having any fish. I always had aquariums through my childhood both fresh and saltwater. I had a betta when I was single that lived 3-4 years. Looking back I did everything wrong. Plastic rough plant, undergravel filter, 2 gallon aquarium, water change every 2 mos, only pellets to eat, left the light on way too much, etc. This time around I am much more educated.

I have a 3 gallon set up with a java fern and some cyperus helferi grass. It has an internal Whisper filter that is adjustable and a 16w LED light. I "think" I have attached a picture of my tank. I got the tank all ready on Friday night, went and got the fish on Saturday and introduced him to the tank on Saturday evening. He was eating pellets the first night. He hasn't stressed at all. This has been the easiest transition. He has continued eating pellets, bloodworms and this morning's breakfast was frozen brine shrimp. He swims to the front of the tank when he sees someone. He has been making bubble nests since the first full day. I got him for my grandson who is staying with us for a couple of months. The fish has been appropriately named Mr. Bubbles.

This is the first time I have attempted the live plants so I have a question. I have a very low flow (adjustable) internal filter (one of the Whisper varieties), I am not sure if it is enough. This morning I saw a little bit of a film on top of the water. Is this normal? Should I try to skim it off? I am using the Flourish Excel twice a week as a feed for the plants. Any tips here are appreciated.

Thanks for such a comprehensive, informative forum!
Attached Images

Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Welcome back to bettas! Mr. Bubbles is a beautiful guy.

You might get better answers to your planted tank questions in the planted tank forum (on the main page it's a few forums below this forum). There are a lot of planted tank enthusiasts on there that can help you.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 
Ange1seyes

Thanks!

Thanks Neptunes Mom! What kind of horse do you have? I have a Durch Warmblood that I do dressage with...although he would prefer to be a jumper.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 
Laki

Hello and welcome!
You can head over to the planted tank section. But the filter seems fine for now. If you see any wilted growth after the initial settling in period on the plants then you could look into different ferts. You prob won't even need the Excel bc something tells me it's not a full spectrum of helpful fertilizers. Something like that, over in planted tanks they can clarify. For a small tank like 3g a filter will really only serve to remove debris from the water (which is extremely helpful! my 3 g doesn't have a filter and it's so annoying to fishnet all the debris out).

Dressage looks so cool!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange1seyes View Post
Thanks Neptunes Mom! What kind of horse do you have? I have a Durch Warmblood that I do dressage with...although he would prefer to be a jumper.
The one in my avatar is an Arabian. We have Arabians and Miniatures. I have always dreamed of learning dressage. Alas, all my horses are klutzy .
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #6 
Ange1seyes

Very Cool!

Neptunes Mom I rode saddleseat for 18 years. I had a World Champion Racking Horse. When I had to put him down from Cushings I decided it was time for a change. I guess I should clarify...we "try" to do dressage.

Thanks Laki! I will post over there.